5 - 7 years
Posted 272 days ago
Senior Scientist, Enzyme Engineering
We are seeking a senior-level Scientist to join our enzyme engineering group. This Scientist will play a leading role in delivering results and developing approaches for the improvement of bottleneck enzymes in engineered metabolic pathways in microbial strains. He or she will provide technical leadership in enzymology and protein engineering, manage associate scientists and scientists, and lead projects that improve the performance of microbes to deliver sustainable solutions for a growing world. His or her responsibilities will also include working effectively with the R&D Leadership Team to develop and implement strategies for continued advancement of enzyme engineering technologies.
* Serve as a senior technical leader and advisor in enzymology and protein engineering. Provide technical leadership internally within R&D and externally with our partners.
* Work with the R&D Leadership Team and the Enzyme Engineering team to develop and implement strategies for continued advancement of enzyme engineering technologies.
* Manage associate scientists, scientists, and researchers. Responsible for their professional development.
* Independently manage project team(s). Develop and guide multiple lines of investigation.
* Contribute to the company’s intellectual property portfolio and scientific publications. Present at internal meetings, external conferences, and meetings with outside partners/collaborators.
* Maintain safe practices and work environment.
Members of the enzyme engineering group need to be knowledgeable in enzymology, protein biochemistry, molecular biology and microbiology, and should be creative, organized, energetic, collaborative, and self-motivated.
Skills and requirements:
We favor candidates with technical training in biology, molecular biology, biochemistry, structural biology, molecular modeling, directed evolution, or chemistry and prior industrial and managerial experience. Specifically,
* A proven track record of strong leadership in developing and applying cutting-edge enzyme engineering technologies in the biotech industry.
* Expertise in all experimental aspects of enzyme technologies, including enzyme discovery, protein library design and screening, enzyme kinetics, and enzyme assay development (in vivo and in vitro)
* Experience in the use of bioinformatics methods, protein structural analysis or modeling, modern machine learning techniques, and statistical analysis for directed evolution of enzymes.
* Demonstrated ability to excel in a collaborative team environment with excellent interpersonal skills and communications skills, and ability to reach across disciplinary boundaries to effectively collaborate with others.
* Self-motivated, strong desire to succeed, and an innovative growth mindset.
* Ability to relate business issues to scientific decisions.
* Ph.D. degree in biochemistry, molecular biology, or a related discipline with 6 or more years of industrial experience in engineering enzymes.