As a scientist at Provivi, you will undertake applied research and develop scalable processes necessary for synthesis of compounds utilizing our novel olefin metathesis technologies. As a technology leader, you will design, execute synthetic and process chemistries, as well as collaborate with external Contract Research Organizations (CRO) to enable scalable processes for the production of Provivi’s insect pheromone products. The Senior Scientist – Chemistry reports to the Associate Vice President of Chemistry & Metabolic Engineering.
- Effectively conduct research projects within R&D, including proper planning, resource allocation, control and completion.
- Conduct outstanding research utilizing all techniques associated with chemical synthesis in a modern laboratory, including the synthesis, purification, and characterization of chemical compounds on small (milligrams) and medium scale (< 1 Kg).
- Develop novel chemical processes for synthesis of natural products used in pest management and crop protection.
- Maintain detailed, accurate, legible records of all experiments and graph all relevant trend data along with the appropriate controls and blanks.
- Write reports and Standard Operating Procedures for internal and external use. Facilitates technology transfer to external partners.
- Maintain all instruments and equipment in excellent condition, keep all work areas neat and clean, and follow all safety procedures without exception.
- Supervise, mentor and train junior scientists for appropriate skills to advance Provivi’stechnologies
- Remains current with chemistry literature and technology and champions the implementation of new technology.
- Collaborates and prepares internal research reports, invention disclosures, and technical presentation. May collaborate and author external publications and present research at external conferences.
Qualifications & Skills Include
- Desired Education/Experience:
- PhD in organometallic chemistry, organic chemistry or equivalent
- Less than 4 years Industrial experience, post-doctoral experience or a recent graduate with research and development process experience
- Must be able to make independent decisions, will be given the authority to make independent decisions that move the progress of the projects forward.
- Organometallic catalysis and organic synthesis experiences are preferred.
- Process chemistry, including purification and separations are preferred.
- Ability to communicate with process engineers, both internally and externally.
- Ability to carry out process chemistry relevant experiments, for example DOE experiments with respect to catalysis technology.
- A good understanding of organic chemistry, analytical chemistry and chemical engineering principles
- Have independent problem-solving skills, with the ability to think and develop deductive reasoning to apply to the design and synthesis of biologically active natural products
- Have exceptional data reporting, multitasking skills, and the ability to function effectively within a dynamic interdisciplinary environment.
- Ability to prioritize responsibilities and multi-task
- Must be flexible, able to work on several projects simultaneously.
- Be a proven team player with outstanding communication and networking skills
- Enjoy working in an exciting small team environment and be able to work under deadlines.
- Able to lift 15 – 40 pounds.