The Senior Scientist, Cancer Biology & Bioinformatics is responsible for providing cancer biology expertise and bioinformatics knowledge to achieve the company’s scientific objectives. Key responsibilities include processing and analysis of pre-clinical and clinical correlative studies including next-generation sequencing data, query and analysis of public big-data sets, and scientific oversight of collaborative research activities. The Sr Scientist is expected to work in close collaboration with internal colleagues, external investigators, academic researchers and internal stakeholders, and participates in writing, reviewing and presenting abstracts, publications and other scientific documents. A successful candidate should possess skills necessary to understand basic molecular biology experimental studies.
- Informatics processing of bulk RNA sequencing, and genome/exome/target panel DNA sequencing, including interpretation of results of analyses.
- Plan, implement and oversee scientific aspects of collaborative projects focused on mechanistic, pre-clinical and biomarker studies relevant to Karyopharm research and development objectives.
- Provide scientific, technical and bioinformatics support to investigators, collaborators and internal stakeholders.
- Present data at key scientific meetings/conferences regarding company's products and research
- Develop in-depth knowledge of therapeutic areas, current medical practice and industry regulations in order to ensure best practice across all activities
- Design and analyze experiments using cancer disease model for novel compound testing and mechanism of action studies with academic collaborators and CROs.
- PhD degree in bioinformatics, cell biology, molecular biology or a related discipline
- 5+ years of working experience in a pharma, biotech or academic setting focused on oncology
- Deep understanding of cancer biology and genetics.
- Experience with processing, analysis and interpretation/presentation of next-generation sequencing data.
- Proficiency in Linux cluster computer environment.
- Experience in working with public cancer genomics databases such as TCGA, ICGC, COSMIC, cBioPortal.
- Experience and knowledge of standard cellular and molecular biology techniques (Cell culture, ELISA, Cell-based assays, Immunofluorescence, Western blotting, Microscopy, RNA/DNA isolation, qPCR)
- Experience related to cancer immunology is desired
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Requires strong attention to detail in composing and proofing materials, establishing priorities, scheduling and meeting deadlines
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle multiple competing tasks and demands
- Ability to work successfully within a cross-functional team and in a matrixed environment where influence without authority is critical
- Ability to interact with investigators, vendors, and internal colleagues
- Ability to complete tasks to deadlines and resolve/elevate problems in a timely manner