First Light Diagnostics is developing breakthrough automated medical diagnostic products for rapid, sensitive, automated, and cost-effective detection of the microbes that cause hospital infections. The products address the key medical need to rapidly determine the right antibiotic to cure these life-threatening infections. Based on its proprietary MultiPath™ digital imaging technology, First Light’s products will combine the performance of the most advanced automated commercial laboratory tests with unprecedented affordability and ease-of-use. First Light Diagnostics is a well-funded Chelmsford MA company offering a stimulating environment with a culture of excellence in science, engineering, and business.
The Senior Scientist will have a strong background in in-vitro diagnostic assay development. S/he will be part of an integrated, interdisciplinary team developing powerful, new medical diagnostic products using advanced immunochemical, nanoparticle, and digital imaging technology for rapid detection of microbial pathogens and biomarkers. As the leader of a group with several research associates developing one of the company’s infectious disease tests, this individual will be a results-focused, team-oriented, bench scientist. The job responsibilities center on the design, development, optimization and validation of diagnostic assays.
- Design, optimize and verify immunoassays for multiple projects
- Develop and apply rational design techniques to optimize key parameters of assay development
- Serve as a technical expert in immunoassays technologies within the organization and provide support to multiple projects
- Identify, manage and contribute to external collaborations relevant to the program
- Maintain accountability for project success and results delivery
- Contribute to scientific and strategy discussions to advance and enhance the platform and assay options
- Communicate research and development findings internally and externally
- Supervise and mentor junior scientists working in the team
- Strong in experimental design, scientific analysis, critical thinking, troubleshooting abilities
- Expertise in the design and execution of DOE studies
- Outstanding communication skills
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Ability to multi-task to meet aggressive timelines, and technology development goals
- Strong microbiological, protein chemistry, and immunological methods skills
- Ability to think critically and creatively as part of a fast-paced research team
- Strong project management skills
- Highly organized, attention to detail, attains project milestones on time
- Motivated to find ways to improve personal, team, and company efficiency
- Ability to develop clear work instructions and test plans
- PhD or Master’s degree in a life sciences field
- A track record of successful IVD development including >3 years industry experience
- Experience with late stage assay immunoassays development highly desirable
- Should have experience with product development through regulatory approval and commercial launch
- Industry experience using antibody-based methods
- Experience working under a quality system designed to meet FDA requirements
- Strong background and experience in microbiology and immunoassays are preferred
- Clinical microbiology laboratory experience a plus
- Project management experience in an industry setting
- Experience supervising direct reports
- Must be authorized to work in the U.S.
- Only local candidates will be considered at this time.