Vertex is seeking a talented individual to join our Process Chemistry group in San Diego, CA. The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, highly productive, results-oriented bench chemist, capable of being involved in synthetic projects and laboratory experiments from gram to multi-kilogram scale, to enable the delivery of compound and technology to support toxicology and clinical studies. This individual may also be involved in the development of new chemistry and demonstrate chemistry by delivering compounds at expected purity for early phase of development.
Previous experience in a kilo lab environment with excellent notebook practices is required for this role.
Key Responsibilities for this role:
- Conducts synthetic organic chemistry at multi-gram to kilo gram scale using kilo lab scale equipment
- Execute and interpret synthetic organic experiments with a high degree of reliability
- Perform the synthesis of complex target molecules
- Plans synthetic routes and performs literature searches to support on-going projects
- Perform experiments with limited supervision demonstrating innovative chemistry strategies and knowledge of modern synthetic chemistry.
- Display emerging ability to modify experimental designs and protocols to enable experimental and/or methodological improvement
- Maintains an accurate, clear, electronic notebook with detailed experimental findings and required analytical reports.
- Multitask to effectively manage multiple activities
- Assist other scientists in Process Chemistry and other departments
- Ensure compliance with all applicable regulations and SOPs
- A degree in Chemistry with synthetic organic chemistry experience
- Minimum experience: 4+ years (MS) or 6+ years (BS) of lab experience in a pharmaceutical research environment.
- Experience working in a kilo lab and ability to operate standard and large scale chemical laboratory equipment and operate standard analytical test instrumentation is required.
- Inventive and innovative, self-starter who is comfortable and successful working in a multi-disciplinary team under defined timelines
- Expert knowledge of NMR, HPLC, LCMS and other traditional organic chemistry laboratory techniques
- Proven communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills