Job Description & Qualifications
Responsible for ensuring compliance with state and local sales and use tax laws and regulations and other indirect taxes. Implement controls to reduce company tax exposure. Resolve issues that arise as a result of operations and various taxing jurisdictions. Prepare, calculate, project, and perform other related assignments.
Major Tasks, Responsibilities and Key Accountabilities
- Handles one or more of the following sub functions: preparing and reviewing multi-state sales and use tax returns; reviewing business licenses and unclaimed property returns; coordinating and managing sales/use tax and business licenses audits, including sample selection and projections; reviewing, testing and updating point of sales systems (production and development environments) to ensure accuracy of tax calculations including rates and taxability determination; and/or reviewing reconciliations and journal entries.
- Ensures compliance with state and local sales and use tax laws and regulations and other indirect taxes.
- Assists Sales Tax Manager and provides leadership, training and direction to other staff members.
- Implements controls to reduce company tax exposure.
- Reviews, researches and responds to government notices.
- Identifies and communicates solutions to complex, time-critical or recurring business issues.
- Manages exemption certificate issuance and management.
- Researches complex tax issues, laws and pending legislation to determine its application to operations, including regulations, statutes and case law. Assists with special projects as needed.
Nature and Scope
- Identifies key barriers/core problems and applies problem solving skills in order to deal creatively with complex situations. Troubleshoots and resolves complex problems. Makes decisions under conditions of uncertainty, sometimes with incomplete information, that produce effective end results.
- Independently performs assignments with instruction limited to the expected results. Determines and develops an approach to solutions. Receives technical guidance only on unusual or complex problems or issues.
- May oversee the completion of projects and assignments, including planning, assigning, monitoring and reviewing progress and accuracy of work, evaluating results, etc. Contributes to employees' professional development but does not have hiring or firing authority.
- Located in a comfortable indoor area. Any unpleasant conditions would be infrequent and not objectionable.
- Most of the time is spent sitting in a comfortable position and there is frequent opportunity to move about. On rare occasions there may be a need to move or lift light articles.
- Typically requires overnight travel less than 10% of the time.
Education and Experience
- Typically requires BS/BA in a related discipline. Generally 5-8 years of experience in a related field OR MS/MA and generally 3-5 years of experience in a related field. Certification is required in some areas.