The Senior Sales Account Manager will support a Sales Director, Regional Sales Manager, or National Accounts Manager for a specific account(s). The individual will be responsible and have experience in establishing and maintaining customer relationships with assigned key customers through daily corporate to corporate contact to communicate pricing, product availability, and order management. The primary responsibility will be introducing and placing new products with customers, executing organizational initiatives, and driving sales of key items with strategic customers for long-term growth.
Direct Sales Responsibility
- Accountable for achieving budgeted sales of consumer goods to key customers.
- Develops and achieves maximum sales volume consistent with realistic sales projections for accounts served.
- Maintain business with existing accounts for continued growth
- Drives the discovery and use of consumer and customer insights to enhance sales performance with our customers.
- Implements and executes Smithfield sales plans to promote product lines.
Communications and Product Management
- Maintain current knowledge of Smithfield’s product management, marketing , research and development efforts in order to increase sales and satisfy customer requests for new items.
- Develop working relations with personnel at various levels in order to communicate product availability, logistics information, product specifications, and pricing as needed.
- Ensure prompt and equitable disposition of customer complaints or problems; this may require communication with corporate headquarters.
Coaching & Development
- Provide leadership and guidance to Area Sales Managers or Sales Account Managers.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited four-year college or university in Business or related field and 5+ years’ relevant experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferred.
- 2+ years' experience acting as a lead by providing training, guidance or mentoring to less experienced staff.
- Must understand the dynamics of the Consumer Packaged Goods industry.
- Must have a solid understanding of customer focused and fact based selling, which may include IRI, Neilsen and Perishable Group data.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- SAP experience, preferred.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- High level of written and verbal communication skills, organizational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- May travel up to 75% of the time.
- May provide leadership and guidance to more junior sales employees.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities may include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.