The Senior Safety Specialist is a member of our Tennessee Gas Pipeline (TGP) Division 10 team. The primary geographical coverage area is the Northeast region of the US including Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Vermont. The position may be located in either Enfield, CT or Hamburg, NY.
Kinder Morgan offers a robust benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance, two retirement plans, paid holidays, and paid time off. Kinder Morgan is one of the largest energy infrastructure companies in North America. This is a great opportunity if you are an experienced Safety Manager, Safety Supervisor, Safety Coordinator, EHS Consultant, or EHS Specialist. To be considered for our Sr. Safety Specialist position, click on Apply Now to sign in or create an account to upload your resume.
Support the Natural Gas Business Unit in complying with federal, state, and local safety regulations. The emphasis of this position is providing safety training, facility inspections, OSHA regulatory interpretations, incident investigation support, OSHA incident classification, and emergency response support.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of OSHA regulations and a working knowledge of EPA regulations.
- Communicate regulatory as well as Business Unit requirements and research potential solutions to address issues identified by facility personnel, internal audits and regulatory inspections.
- Inspect facilities to identify best practices and potential EHS deficiencies. In addition, must be able to provide regulatory citation or reference Business Unit standards for deficiencies identified and be able to assist in developing and implementing solutions.
- Plan, develop, and deliver effective safety training to facility personnel
- Provide support for the incident/injury reporting and tracking system, including report generation and reviews, in relation to workplace injuries/illnesses, vehicle accidents, and other undesired occurrences.
- Contribute in the development or improvement of site level as well as Business Unit safety and IH procedures.
- Participate as a member of a team that, through the use of a root cause analysis technique, is assigned to investigate an incident and develop effective corrective actions.
- Assist in developing and following to completion action items created through pre- and post-installation reviews of either plans for new facilities or modifications to existing facilities.
- Develop accurate and concise written communications concerning EHS issues for the Company, Business Unit, or Division in order to create awareness and to prevent a re-occurrence of similar events.
- Support field operations during internal audits/assessments or external inspections.
- Serve as a member of the Incident Command System (ICS) in response to emergency incidents in the Division.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university
- Safety or industrial hygiene degreepreferred
- Familiarity concerning the hazards and safe operating practices associated with flammable gases and liquids.
- Reading and interpreting blueprints, P&IDs, and other diagrams is beneficial.
- Safety certification preferred but not required. Must be willing to pursue certification commensurate to the level of safety experience and education.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and meet Company insurability requirements.
Competencies, Skills and Abilities
- Effective, tactful, and positive communication with all levels of field and management personnel.
- Moderate to high proficiency with personal computers and working knowledge of MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as well as other Company software.
- Possess the ability to work as a team member with a focus on attention to detail and meeting deadlines.
- Effectively work outdoors in the Northeast U.S. climate while wearing the required PPE (ex. hard hat, flame resistant clothing, and safety toed footwear) for the location.
- Periodically climb ladders and stairs to elevated platforms/walkways as well as occasionally enter confined spaces.