Our roster has an opening with your name on it
We’re looking for passionate & experienced technologists, strong communicators and those with a commitment to continuous improvement. The ideal candidate will have the confidence to propose pragmatic solutions to complex problems and be eager to learn from and educate others.
As a senior engineer your primary responsibility will be development of an innovative and growing Roku OTT platform. The platform distributes real-time and on-demand video as well as highly integrated personalized content. As senior engineer you will need a core understanding of streaming technologies, system design, Roku device development and App store distribution.
You are a significant and autonomous contributor. Your work is consistently of high quality. You solve difficult problems, applying appropriate technologies and best practices. You work with your team to invent, design and build software that is stable and performant. You are proficient in a broad range of design approaches and know when it is appropriate to use them and when it is not. Your solutions are pragmatic. You consider the legacy of the code you produce and write code that an SDE unfamiliar with the system can understand. You limit the use of short-term workarounds. You do things with the proper level of complexity the first time (or at least minimize incidental complexity). You create flexible software without over-engineering. You make appropriate trade-offs, re-use where possible, and are judicious about introducing dependencies. You are efficient with resource usage (e.g., system hardware, database, memory/CPU, etc).
THE GAME PLAN
Everyone on our team has a part to play
- You work in project ideas with customers, stakeholders, and peers.
- You own parts of product and technology and become subject matter experts.
- You write simple and extendable code following standards and best practices. You test your code thoroughly.
- You help balance customer requirements with the team requirements.
- You help your team evolve by actively participating in the code review process, design discussions, team planning, and ticket/metric/COE reviews.
- You classify, store, and handle data in accordance with FanDuel policies.
- You track security risks and mitigate and/or escalate them in a timely manner.
- You focus on operational excellence, constructively identifying problems and proposing solutions.
- You take on projects and make software enhancements that improve the team software and processes.
- You work to resolve the root cause of complex problems, leaving software better and easier to maintain than when you found it.
- You are able to train new team-mates on how your team's software is constructed, how it operates, how secure it is, and how it fits into the bigger picture.
- You foster a constructive dialogue and seek resolutions in a professional way.
- You help recruit and interview for your team.
- You estimate stories/tasks accurately and deliver them in time.
- You mentor and help to develop others.
- You keep yourself up to date with market standards and open-source frameworks.
- Most importantly, you are; humble, pragmatic, self-managed, thirsty for knowledge, never satisfied and always challenging the norm.
What we’re looking for in our next teammate
- Degree in Computer Science, related field, or equivalent work experience.
- Building Roku Apps (Brightscript, Scenegraph).
- Release process of native apps on AppStore and web apps on production systems.
- Integrations with third party systems and API’s
- Proficient in a broad range of data structures and algorithms.
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive.
- Demonstrated abilities driving operational excellence and best practices.
- Demonstrated experience in shipping high quality products and services.
- Able to communicate technical concepts simply and successfully, to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Experience writing functional tests.
- Familiarity working in an Agile environment.
- Building Roku or other Connected-TV device applications.
- Building tvOS and Android TV native applications.
- Integrating frontend Apps with Analytics systems (e.g. Amplitude).
- Experience working with cloud-based infrastructure and technologies, AWS or GCP.
- Fundamental understanding in streaming technologies and protocols.
- The importance of platform stability with a user facing product.