A top non-supervisory Senior Right of Way Agent will perform the following duties:
- Provide leadership when working as part of a group or team.
- Ensures that needed meetings are held, important agenda items are included and team members are kept current.
- Provides ideas for solutions and pushes for constructive resolution of problems.
- Will assist engineering in route determination for pipeline construction and relocation projects.
- Provide cost estimates which shall include right of way cost, labor and expenses.
- Will anticipate possible road blocks and seek alternative solutions to overcome those obstacles.
- Communicate with land developers, government agencies, and landowners to protect right of way from excessive encroachments.
- Prepare the appropriate encroachment documentation as defined by the company encroachment policy and procedures.
- Communicate with property owner and/or tenants in response to company activities on right of way, e.g. pipe repair, relocations, vegetation control, and public awareness mailings.
- Negotiate with the land owners to obtain, maintain or dispose of company’s right of way interests.
- Acquire right of way, fee property, valve sites, cathodic protection sites, pump stations, work space and various permits. Have the ability to conduct, review and cure property title.
- Obtain appraisals for acquisitions, sales, and rights-of-way purchase or lease, when necessary.
- Assess and settle damage claims, problems or inquiries while representing the company in a positive manner.
- Acts as a company liaison with other companies and governmental agencies at the federal, state and local levels.
- Participate in acquisition due diligence projects as assigned – reviewing documents and preparing an executive summary.
Required Skills, Education, and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 10 years work experience and solid working knowledge of pipeline right of way and real estate transactions and practices.
- Must be knowledgeable in the legal aspects of easements, rights of way, leases, licenses, permits and real property interest.
- Knowledge of right of way must span an adequate understanding of legal views, government regulation ofpipeline industry, engineering maps and drawings, public relations, negotiations, property management, appraisal and a good working knowledge of pipeline operations and maintenance practices.
- Excellent interpersonal (people) skills.
- Empathetic, even-tempered, with good negotiating skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Good communication, presentation and conflict management skills.
- Strong computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and database applications (SAP, GEOAmps or equivalent).
- Must be able to work within a team environment to accomplish organizational goals with the ability tomeet priorities and deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
Preferred Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Prior right of way experience required; should have a minimum of 10 year's related experience.
- Background in social sciences, Public/Community Relations, Human Resources/Relations.
- Knowledge of Right of Way must span an adequate understanding of legal views, government regulations of pipeline industry, engineering, state one-call systems, maps and drawings, public relations, negotiation, property management.
- Understands and is sensitive to public, community and government relationship to the pipeline industry.
- Ability to make decisions based upon sound judgment.
- A self-starter who will take initiative and who works well with minimum supervision.
- May support more senior Right of Way Agents working on a variety of capital, operational and maintenance field projects.
- Travel and odd work hours on occasion.
- Subject to DOT random drug testing.
- On call for emergency response.