What makes this a great opportunity?
Title: Senior Research Scientist – Global R&D – Ready to Drink & Flavored Spirits
Reports to: Director – Global R&D – Ready to Drink & Flavored Spirits
Location: Clermont, KY
Partner in the creation of innovative consumer and customer driven new products/platforms, quality improvements and cost savings, to drive Beam Suntory profitable growth and business success. Primary focus areas include innovation and renovation of products and owning formula/spec development from ideation through commercialization. As the R&D member on cross-functional team, this position provides broad exposure to Supply Chain, marketing/business teams, finance, sourcing and other internal and external partners.
- Partners in identifying and creating innovative new products and platforms aligned to overall Beam Suntory strategy and go to market process.
- Directly accountable for technical development and implementation as part of cross functional project team, translating consumer/customer needs into relevant product design elements meeting consumer, cost, quality and regulatory requirements, with minimal supporting guidance of manager.
- Plan and execute experiments using established laboratory/pilot plant/operations methods; interpreting results and translating into solutions. Apply previous scientific work and knowledge to experimental design and results. Follow best practices and SOPs for development and suggest process improvements for procedures and practices. Utilize agile development style as needed.
- Serve as a direct R&D resource on projects with moderate to high complexity, such as major cost initiatives, line extensions, and platform development; working closely with key business partners to define product requirements, development timelines, cost/margin goals and contingency plans.
- Partner with external suppliers and development companies as required to extend product possibilities and identify, evaluate and implement new enabling technologies and raw materials, particularly to enable new RTD capability with co-manufacturers and external suppliers and partners.
- Demonstrate a solid technical and business understanding of the competitive set, supplier base and adjacencies, emerging technology, as well as on and off premise practices, trends and other external changes that could influence industry and product direction. Demonstrate and share understanding of the US RTD alcohol and non-alcohol market and technologies. Effectively incorporate this learning into business plans to drive new idea potential.
- Develop ingredient, in-process and final product specifications on new or revised products as required; providing performance-based specifications, spec ownership and proprietary advantage where applicable to protect investments and block-out competitive potential.
- Leverage learnings from consumers and production facilities to provide insight into new and innovative business opportunities.
- Participate actively in team building and broader Beam Suntory and external initiatives.
Qualifications & Experience
- M.S Food Science or related preferred with minimum four years experience, or B.S. degree with 6+ years experience.
- Minimum 2 years work experience in food and/or beverage industry. Experience in research and direct formulation initiatives, specifically in the ready to drink alcoholic beverages or carbonated soft drinks space preferred.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in creating and working a plan for assigned projects.
- Ability to develop strong cross functional relationships within R&D as well as with Marketing, Supply Chain, Procurement, Engineering, etc. to drive strong collaboration and results.
- Proficient skills in planning and performing experiments, data collection, analysis and interpretation.
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills. Strong working knowledge of standard lab operating procedures
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including timely follow-up and commitment to deliverables, and openness to give and receive feedback.
- Desire to help build and maintain a diverse, equitable and inclusive culture within Global R&D and broader Beam Suntory.
- Must be able to taste limited quantities of alcoholic beverage samples in accordance with evaluation/research needs.
- Self starter, flexible, comfortable working in unstructured face-paced environment, able to manage multiple priorities effortlessly
- Team player with cooperative, collaborative style supported by good listening and partnering skills. Culturally sensitive, with ability to work in a global multicultural cross functional organization, requiring ability to work effectively across cultures, time zones to accommodate global responsibilities.
- Ability to travel globally to partner in project work with internal and external clients, as well as support implementation at Beam facilities – travel approx. 10-30% with half local Kentucky operations and Chicago corporate office, and balance other Beam Suntory locations. *When COVID restrictions allow.
- Physically fit for work primarily in a lab, pilot plant and manufacturing environments, which includes long periods of standing, moving, and carrying or lifting up to 50 pounds.