Summary of Major Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of this position will be contributing to the research efforts in establishing and improving current nucleic acid detection methodologies at Exact Sciences.
In this role, the Senior Research Scientist will be responsible for
- Development of novel methodologies for amplification and detection of nucleic acids using real-time PCR approaches.
- Improvement on current nucleic acid practices and techniques at Exact Sciences (e.g., extraction, bisulfite conversion, cloning, purification, amplification, detection).
- Evaluation of new nucleic acid platforms and chemistries.
- Improvement on current methods of real-time PCR data analysis.
- Employing statistical methods in data analysis and results interpretation.
- Tackling a wide range of applications where innovation, creativity, and problem solving skills are used.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manage research projects and supervise a team of research scientists.
- Plans and executes new research projects. This includes researching the subject, defining an experimental plan, preparing protocols, performing statistical analysis and interpretation of data and results, and prepares reports.
- Maintains knowledge of scientific technological developments that may assist in the completion of an assignment or lead to new products, processes or procedures by reading current literature. May attend technical conferences or seminars.
- Contribute to the intellectual property portfolio of the company by implementing innovative and creative ideas to solve problems or improve on current methods used.
- Manages lower level scientists, including providing technical guidance, interviewing, hiring, training, goal setting, including performance evaluation, prioritization of work and compliance with personnel and safety policies.
- Presents experimental results and contributes ideas to improve team processes.
- Reports status of assigned projects through the preparation of detailed reports and documentation that summarize experiment results. Interprets results of experiments and recommends alternative experiments.
- Participates in technical decisions affecting research and development issues.
- Presents information at project meetings and may present findings at scientific meetings or to customers. May prepare and/or contribute to articles for publication.
- Supports and complies with the company's hazardous waste management program, including following safe, hazardous waste handling practices.
- Maintains lab notebook in a complete and consistent manner, following all legal, ISO and QSR requirements as well as keeping clear and complete records.
- Performs other related duties as assigned by management including providing backup for departmental coworkers
- Education and industry experience:
- Ph.D. in Life Sciences or related field plus a minimum of 4 years of industry experience, or
- Master’s degree in Life Sciences or related field plus a minimum of 6 years of industry experience
- Previous experience in the research and development in biotechnology and life science industry and managing a team of scientists.
- Must have an in-depth experience (hands on and theoretical) with nucleic acid amplification, quantification, and modification methods (i.e., qPCR, TaqMan, Molecular Beacons, Invader, LAMP, TMA, RCA, LCR, etc.)
- In depth experience (hands on and theoretical) in nucleic acid and molecular biology techniques (e.g., real time PCR, DNA/RNA extraction and purification) and nucleic acid epigenetics and bisulfite conversion chemistry.
- Experience in FRET assay development.
- Experience in statistical and mathematical methods used in biology/genetics.
- Experience in using statistical data analysis software (JMP) and
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to interface and work effectively within team and department, as well as all levels of the organization, vendors, customers, etc.
- Ability to effectively work on many complex and varied projects at one time, with frequent changing priorities.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment and adapt to changing plans and circumstances.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and delegate assignments.
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to sit for an extended period.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and up to 6 hours at a time.
- Ability to travel (by land and air), both domestically and internationally, on occasion.
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees, customers, etc. face-to-face, via the telephone or by email.
- Ability to utilize lab equipment for up to 6 hours per day (includes pipetting, etc.)
- Ability to use and wear safety protective gear/equipment (e.g. safety glasses, lab coat, gloves, respirator, etc.) and follow safety guidelines while in the lab, etc.
- Ability to work at a laboratory bench or fume hood for extended periods of time.
- Ability to work with hazardous or flammable materials (e.g. chemicals, radioactivity, electrical equipment) so as not to endanger oneself or others.
- Ability to learn and understand scientific concepts and keep current on the scientific literature and technologies.
- Constantly moves about to coordinate work.
- Regularly sets up, adjusts, assembles, controls, tests, positions and operates objects and equipment weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis.