Brightseed enables a healthier future by illuminating and activating the connections between plants and people. Despite centuries of wisdom proving the critical roles plants play in supporting our health, the majority of small molecules in the plant kingdom remain unexplored. Using computational biology and machine learning, Brightseed's Forager® is the first and only artificial intelligence designed to uncover how plant small molecules impact human biology. Forager's discoveries support major areas of human health, including metabolism, digestion, cognition, and immunity. Discoveries undergo clinical evaluation, regulatory review, and commercial development to deliver powerful, yet natural solutions.
JOIN US, AND BE YOU
We are committed to making transformative discoveries with a team-first mentality. Successful team members are truth-seeking and trusting, with the tenacity required to trail blaze in uncharted territory. We are a collaborative team that actively seeks input and values differing perspectives. And we produce tangible results, holding ourselves accountable in the process.
We are also committed to cultivating and preserving a culture of connectedness and inclusion. We grow and learn together, respecting professional and personal experiences, areas of expertise, and types of self expression.
In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that each one of us brings in terms of education, opinions, culture, color, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran's status, religion, different abilities, sexual orientation and beliefs.
ABOUT THE ROLE
You are a trained nutrition scientist with direct experience investigating the molecular basis for the impact of diet on health. You are also an experienced industry researcher who knows how to generate scientific results and derive insights that guide the development of innovative dietary solutions for human health. You will report to the company's head of Medical and Scientific Affairs.
At Brightseed, you will join a multidisciplinary team of scientists and engineers to discover, develop and commercialize plant-based bioactives as nutritional solutions that support human health and wellness. In this role, you will serve as an internal and external scientific expert in the field of dietary components, their impact on specific areas of human health, and the molecular bases for these outcomes. You will lead the organization, annotation, and curation of human health and nutritional data in Brightseed's internal R&D workflows and systems. You will participate in the design, execution, and interpretation of in vitro, in vivo, and clinical studies to establish the efficacy and safety of Brightseed's nutritional products in support of commercialization efforts. And, you will be a key player in evaluating novel bioactive discoveries for their health implications and commercial potential.
- Maintain, extend, and deepen Brightseed's data coverage of human health across a range of disease conditions, acting as the primary in-house expert on current and emerging areas of nutrition and health and curating this knowledge into Brightseed's R&D systems.
- Review, compile, structure and organize molecular and biological data related to human health from primary biomedical data sources, including academic literature, clinical trial databases, and related scientific knowledge bases.
- Collaborate in discovery efforts by evaluating health trends and opportunities, assessing their potential for dietary intervention by researching the underlying biology of prospective molecular targets, as well as related biological or clinical data.
- Participate in a range of active research programs, interpreting results on plants, their bioactive compounds, and their potential applications to human health, and deriving insights that highlight the commercial potential of discoveries.
- Serve as a key member of the scientific translation team by planning and executing preclinical and clinical studies that culminate in a body of evidence supporting the efficacy and safety of Brightseed's nutritional products.
- As a member of the Medical and Scientific Affairs team, support efforts to develop the scientific and health messaging around Brightseed nutritional solutions through the creation of scientific presentations, publications, and reports.
- PhD in Nutrition Science, Nutritional Biochemistry, or a biomedical or human biology-related field.
- Deep knowledge of the molecular biology and biochemistry underlying the effects of diet on human health.
- Direct experience designing and performing in vitro and in vivo studies related to human health. Experience with planning and executing clinical studies a plus.
- Experience compiling, structuring and curating molecular and biomedical data and interfacing with expert knowledge systems is highly desirable.
- Demonstrated record of generating original scientific insights related to nutrition and health.
- Experience supporting successful commercial launches of nutrition or health-related products.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in nutritional or therapeutic discovery and/or translation.
- Self-starting, entrepreneurial orientation a must.
- Highly collaborative and able to build strong working relationships across multiple cross-functional teams.