As a not-for-profit organization, Partners HealthCare is committed to supporting patient care, research, teaching, and service to the community by leading innovation across our system. Founded by Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Massachusetts General Hospital, Partners HealthCare supports a complete continuum of care including community and specialty hospitals, a managed care organization, a physician network, community health centers, home care and other health-related entities. Several of our hospitals are teaching affiliates of Harvard Medical School, and our system is a national leader in biomedical research.
We’re focused on a people-first culture for our system’s patients and our professional family. That’s why we provide our employees with more ways to achieve their potential. Partners HealthCare is committed to aligning our employees’ personal aspirations with projects that match their capabilities and creating a culture that empowers our managers to become trusted mentors. We support each member of our team to own their personal development—and we recognize success at every step.
Our employees use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration.
General Summary/Overview Statement
This position will be responsible for the analysis, development, modification, general maintenance, and validation of reports. The Sr. Applications Specialist works directly with functional clients, physicians and managers to collect report and information requirements to include: developing specifications for requested reports, performing gap analysis, making changes to existing reports, or identifying reports already available. The Sr. Applications Specialist provides business application support; training to help interpret data in Epic EMR, advanced structured query language (SQL) techniques, and other common reporting tools; collaborates with functional and technical staff on data architecture issues and changes to Clarity data fields and business processes related to reporting requirements. This position collaborates closely with Information Systems Clinical Business Analysts (CBA’s), Managers, Technical Specialists in functional departments, and various organizational governance committees on proposed changes to data fields and tables required to meet reporting requirements. The Sr. Applications Specialist develops reports using tools that include: BOE Crystal, Reporting Workbench and Excel. The Sr. Applications Specialist serves as liaison to Database Administrators and Information Systems staff for site-based ETL processes. This position is also responsible for overall data quality and develops and executes unit test and validation procedures to ensure delivered information is reliable and accurate.
The Sr. Applications Specialist will have an opportunity to be part of a team, assisting in gathering and documenting business requirements, writing individual clarity crystal reports, and providing technical support services as required. The incumbent must have good administrative, organizational and people skills for ensuring successful interaction across multiple levels of hierarchy. This position requires an independent and detail oriented candidate with the ability to understand and apply corporate and industry standard policy/guidelines. Candidate must possess excellent written/verbal communication and should be self-motivated and resourceful. This position calls for someone with strong analytical/statistical skills related with software system, databases, network environments and general data management and reporting skills.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
• Validate Model System reports and identify advanced reporting needs with reporting consumers
• Meet with application analysts and report consumers to understand reporting needs
• Create design specifications for new reports
• Identify and validate appropriate technology solution(s) for various reporting needs
• Create new reports, using third-party reporting tools
• Modify existing reports, as necessary
• Writes specifications, functional design and support documents.
• Review upgrade documentation related to Clarity features and related Crystal reporting content and determine impacts to existing ETL processes
• Identify and communicate master data definitions to consumers
• Develop and implement databases, data collection systems, data analytics and other strategies that optimize statistical efficiency and quality
• Acquire data from primary or secondary data sources and maintain databases/data analysis systems
• Filter and ‘clean’ data by reviewing reports and KPIs to locate and correct workflow problems
• Work with management to prioritize business and information needs
• Review and recommend best practices for business analysis, training and end user support functions
• Participate in regular team meetings to discuss team and project/program related activities, issues, changes, and communications as needed
• Provide service to users, according to the defined service level agreements
• Identify and resolve issues, and facilitate appropriate escalation for timely resolution
• Motivate junior team members for success and give recognition for results
• Use the Partners HealthCare values to govern decisions, actions and behaviors. These values guide how we get our work done: Patients, Affordability, Accountability & Service Commitment, Decisiveness, Innovation & Thoughtful Risk; and how we treat each other: Diversity & Inclusion, Integrity & Respect, Learning, Continuous Improvement & Personal Growth, Teamwork & Collaboration
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree required or equivalent combination of education and experience
• 5-7+ years in healthcare information technology with at least 5 years developing reports
• Experience with the ETL lifecycle, SQL SSMS, and EPIC
• Proficiency with SQL and relational database concepts, including primary and foreign keys, joins, etc.
• Solid working knowledge of relational databases (ex. Microsoft SQL)
• Demonstrated ability to rapidly master new technologies