The Release Train Engineer (RTE) has primary purpose of supporting an Agile Release Train (ART) by steering it to success and navigating the complexity of delivering software in large environments. The RTE helps resolve and escalate impediments, manages risk, helps assure value delivery, and drives program level continuous improvement. The RTE is accountable for the overall coordination, execution and delivery of value through the program while ensuring alignment with company strategy, commitments and goals.
- Facilitates the coordinated preparation and execution of release planning for the ART. This includes:
- Working with the ART team who prioritizes the features to be considered in the next program increment (PI) planning cycle.
- Facilitate the ART team’s refinement of features to be considered in the next PI planning cycle to meet the Feature Definition of Ready.
- Assists the ART in communication and coordination with stakeholders and customers during feature definition and delivery.
- Ensures effective communication and coordination for and during quarterly planning.
- Manages change to the ART’s PI plan and the impacts of those changes.
Portfolio, Program, and Project Support
- Facilitates ART transparency with external parties, as well as with the teams on the release train. This includes:
- Backlog management and ALM tool data integrity for accurate reporting. May include the collection of metrics, KPIs, investment mix reporting, and other reporting as needed by the ART or organization.
- Facilitation and relentless improvement of periodic ART reviews with organizational leaders and stakeholders to provide clarity on the expected value delivery and to gain stakeholder feedback on changes to direction the release train may need to take.
- May include participation in and assisting in the improvement of the System Demo.
Business Process Improvement
- Assists the ART to relentlessly improve through the facilitation of ART Retrospectives quarterly, or more often as needed, to improve backlog management, ART reviews, sprint reviews, or ART coordination and higher-level function.
- Active membership in the RTE Community of Practice helping the organization to maintain alignment, learn new techniques, and improve technical and quality practices. Work with RTE community to determine ways to help ARTs across the company improve cross-train and solution group coordination and collaboration.
Release and Deployment
- Facilitates coordination of major feature releases and ongoing delivery of value to customers where multiple teams or ARTs are involved in development.
- Facilitates the coordination of initiatives that cross multiple release trains.
- Facilitates resolving or reporting escalated issues involving risk, or dependency management that may be hindering the team’s ability to deliver features. Scrum Masters and teams facilitate the resolution of impediments, dependencies and risks within their span of influence.
- The RTE may be called upon to lead projects that impact the ART but may not require work being added to team backlogs.
- Assisting in the execution of product vision.
- Facilitate production support, and relentless improvement of operational workflows and communication, etc.
- Coaches the Agile release train to improve in the implementation of Agile processes, practices, and mindset.