ENERGY FOR WHAT’S AHEAD
Are you looking to make a difference in your career? We’re working on smarter grids, cleaner energy and tools to help people manage energy more efficiently.
Southern California Edison is seeking a senior Relay Protection Engineer to join the Asset Management & Generation Strategy (AMGS) division in the Generation organization. AMGS is responsible for a range of Generation’s business functions including, but not limited to condition assessment, equipment reliability, asset optimization, plant engineering, performance reporting, and work management. This position will be reporting to the Asset Performance Engineering, Condition Monitoring & Analytics department in AMGS that comprises of condition assessment and reliability engineers/specialists. The successful candidate will lead or partner with external consultants in performing assignments and making decisions associated with electrical and protection systems relative to the generating assets within Generation, which would include: Mountainview, Peakers, Big Creek Hydro, Small Hydro, Battery Energy Storage and Catalina generation. The successful candidate will be the go-to person for protection engineering in Generation that has a portfolio of generating technologies ranging from century old hydro generation to cutting-edge hybrid enhanced gas turbines.
The successful candidate will have proven experience with electric utility relay protection engineering practices. Some general responsibilities will include determining relay protection settings, relay test plan development, and performing fault analysis studies. This protection engineer will work closely with plant personnel, engineers and project teams to perform technical assessments and make recommendations. The protection engineer will periodically partner with external consultants on not just projects but routine tasks.
You will be tasked to deliver high quality (accurate, reliable and complete) results. If you are someone who thrives in a collaborative, fast paced, team environment, possesses exceptional electrical engineering skills and interested in an environment where continuous improvement is a core value, we are looking for you!
- Directs or performs Electrical and Protection Systems engineering for unique assignments where no design guides are available and where engineering precedents are incomplete, requiring a broad electrical and protection engineering background to complete a functional design.
- Provide consulting services and technical recommendations for the protection of Generation electrical equipment and personnel.
- May lead technical teams and/or provide functional direction to engineering and design personnel for incorporating protection schemes into electrical design packages.
- Assess and determine the proper protection devices and settings for various (e.g. hydro, gas and solar) generation assets.
- Conduct protection failure analysis and make technical recommendations to mitigate the situation.
- Use variousdatabase systems to manage relay configuration files in accordance with SCE’s compliance requirements.
- Develop relay protection test plans for field technicians.
- Collaborate with variousinternal subject matter experts and stakeholders to ensure Generation’s relay protection system is aligned with other organizations.
- Support Generation engineering projects.
- May serve as a senior staff expert in protection systems and act as an expert witness or provide expert opinions to Edison.
- May participate in department planning, provide budget recommendations, and monitor performance for the accomplishment of committed results.
- Periodic contacts with stakeholders for Generation projects, interfaces with other Organizations for projects under the purview of Generation.
- Creating and maintaining a safety conscious work environment by leading and influencing others to follow Edison safety protocols and safe work practices.
- Performing other responsibilities and duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering
- Twelve years of electrical engineering or related technical experience
- Five years of protection system engineering principles, tasks, and analyses
- Experience performing protective relay system application, design, and setting determination
- Experience performing short circuit calculations and relay coordination studies, and symmetrical component analysis.
- Experience performing relay setting calculations and reviewing protection and metering system one-line diagrams, elementary diagrams, wiring diagrams, and three-line diagrams.
- Twelve years of protection system engineering principles, tasks, and analyses
- Experience performing protective relay system application, design, and setting determination for utility distribution, sub-transmission, transmission, generation, and generating station auxiliary systems.
- Experience with the use of short circuit analysis and relay coordination computer programs, such as SKM, ETAP, ASPEN, and/or CAPE.
- Familiarity with protective relay system engineering codes, standards, and practices necessary to perform complex assignments.
- Ability to apply advanced engineering principles to identify and resolve complex engineering issues.
- Experience with the design application, setting, and logic programming of digital relays and relaying systems.
- Experience with the protection of synchronous generators and their related plant auxiliary equipment.
- Experience managing and implementing complex engineering projects, including identifying, maintaining and/or adjusting the cost, scope, and resources, overseeing vendors and internal project staff, and overseeing the formal planning, tracking, and reporting of project performance.
- Experience managing resources and budget levels to meet project objectives.
- Experience interacting with clients, peers, contractors, vendors, regulatory agencies and all levels of management, to develop solutions.
- State of California Professional Engineer License.
- Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering
- The primary work location for this position is Rosemead, CA; however, the successful candidate will periodically travel to various generation locations within the SCE territory.
- Relocation may apply to this position
- Candidates for this position must be legally authorized to work directly as employees for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
Southern California Edison, an Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, serves a population of nearly 14 million via 5 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California. Join the utility leader that is safely delivering reliable, affordable electricity to our customers for over 125years.