ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES –
- With a focus on tax software functionality, utilizes Tax Institute tax law interpretation on complex federal and/or state tax issues to analyze and evaluate impacts to H&R Block’s tax software products.
- Performs independent research, and analysis on complex federal and state tax and form changes where Tax Institute interpretations are not available. Interprets situation, draws conclusions, identifies fundamental tax points, researches, and interprets tax code, regulations, case law, and makes recommendations as to the best tax treatment for the situation and associated impacts to current tax software. May review other analyst’s work and provide guidance.
- Monitors and analyzes new tax developments to determine effects to current practices.
- Prepares documentation and requirements for use by software developers and may be used by tax practitioners.
- Participates in the day-to-day activities of a tax research project team to identify and resolve tax related issues; ensures adherence to research standards.
- May perform limited testing in the development environment to ensure system is operating as intended.
- Reviews and signs off on QA test plans for area of responsibility.
- Evaluates and responds to complex tax questions received by mail, telephone, and other electronic sources to ascertain exact nature of the issue, researches applicable tax law and regulations, makes recommendations as to the best tax treatment.
- Ensures all SLAs are met.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or other related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a tax pro or tax researcher.
- Significant knowledge of tax law and regulations sufficient to understand and explain complex elements of personal, corporate, partnership, fiduciary, estate, gift, and international taxation.
- Knowledge of tax research principles, procedures, and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively research complicated tax issues and effectively communicate findings.
- Ability to interpret, analyze and correctly formulate solutions to complex tax situations and translate those into software requirements.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to clearly explain complex tax situations.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and projects simultaneously.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with an external and internal customer focus in all interactions