The primary duties of the Sr. Systems Engineer/Sr. Systems Project Manager include design production and technical leadership for rail systems projects pertaining to train control, communications, systems integration, and interfaces with other systems elements such as traction electrification, overhead contact and 3rd distribution, control centers, vehicles and others. Additional Specific responsibilities include design, technical leadership of specific design packages as well as coordinating the assembly of plans and specifications, and construction support. This position supports various rail and transit projects throughout North America to serve the contract requirements and respond to client needs.
The successful candidate will have experience in developing technical specifications, criteria and drawings for train control, communications, and the interfaces to AC and DC traction power systems, rolling stock, operations control centers and other elements of rail systems. As such, the candidate will have the ability to pro-actively lead tasks between technical groups and be innovative in solving complex challenges.
- Project work will include systems design management for Streetcar, Electrified Bus, Light Rail, Heavy Rail, Commuter Rail and High Speed Rail Projects operating on Overhead Contact or Third Rail Systems, with various levels of train control systems, automation.
- Design work would include communications networks, train control, station and passenger related systems, power supply station design, utility supply interface, traction electrification systems, bonding and grounding, etc.
- Project management work may cover the integration of all transit engineering disciplines such as all core systems elements (traction electrification, signaling, communications, etc.) Project management will include client needs coordination, scoping, fee preparation, scheduling, budget tracking, and delivery of work products.
- Work location would include both Home Office and short term travel to cities installing or planning to install Electrified Transit Systems. Long term field assignments may also be available.
Skills and additional attributes:
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field – (Civil Engineering or Mechanical Engineering)
- Minimum 10 years of experience in railway systems
- Extensive experience with electrification systems for intercity, commuter systems, heavy rail, light rail, street car and electrified bus operations
- Communications and train control, interface management and system integration design and implementation is required
- Experience with CADD tools and ability to complete designs individually
- Must have excellent organizational and communication skills