We're hiring a Senior R&D Scientist at our R&D headquarters in Columbia, MD reporting to the R&D Manager. As a chemist at Grace, you will be part of an innovative polyolefin research and development team and perform the following activities from development to scale-up!
- Support new product development in the Specialty Catalyst business, with a strong emphasis on developing new polypropylene catalysts and support technologies.
- Working with a team of chemists/engineers and technicians, drive development of market-leading polypropylene catalyst technologies.
- Align closely with marketing to understand customer needs and provide technical solutions that are economically viable
- Engage in technical support activities within the business, balancing efforts to enhance manufacturing operational excellence with new technology growth
- Interface with polymer science, production development engineers and analytical/testing teams to scale-up and commercialize new polypropylene catalyst support and catalyst technologies.
- Participate in corporate, site, and workgroup related safety activities
- Guide laboratory technician(s)
- Document and communicate findings to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Identify inventive aspects of new technology development and work with Grace legal to capture and protect such intellectual property
- Manages all laboratory safety related activities, performs regular laboratory clean-up and 5S activities.
- Demonstrated proficiency with handling air sensitive and reactive materials
- Experience with collaborating on the commercialization of new technologies
- Ph.D. Degree in Chemistry or related field.
- 5-10+ years of experience working in an industrial laboratory setting
- Strong background in inorganic, organic, or organometallic chemistry
- Experience with polymerization processes. Knowledge of polypropylene catalysts and/or support technology considered a plus
- Experience in analytical characterization of inorganic materials, including specialized techniques for air-sensitive samples
- Ability to summarize and present complex technical concepts to non-scientific audiences