Job Overview and Responsibilities
Based in Bristol, PA the current position will focus on supporting one of three sub-divisions of the Actizone project: healthcare. The successful candidate will join a cross-functional team of application scientists, microbiologists as well as external collaborators supporting this exciting project. Current disinfectants approved for hospital and broad consumer use are not required to demonstrate efficacy beyond the time of application. Therefore, surfaces and high-touch areas in particular are vulnerable to recontamination with potentially harmful microorganisms in between cleaning and disinfection, requiring a re-application of a disinfectant after each contamination or exposure event. If left untreated, many harmful pathogens have ability to persist on surfaces for days while remaining viable and infectious. In this regard, effective surface decontamination was proven just as effective as hand hygiene in reducing the transmission of nosocomial and infectious diseases. These evidences underline a greater need for more efficient and practical disinfection strategies that are equipped to meet real-life challenges of wear and tear, often associated with exposure and recontamination with microorganisms.
The ambition of the Actizone project along with its sub-divisions is to transform the future of surface disinfection via introduction of long-lasting 24 hr antibacterial solutions tailored for a broad range of markets, globally. Specific goals for the healthcare is to reduce hospital acquired infections and operational liabilities by extending the performance of long lasting disinfection to a broad-spectrum of organisms including viruses while retaining the immediate disinfection and cleaning capability with residue free shine.
Scope of Work
- Work in a collaborative team environment to provide relevant technical expertise and technical support to a diverse group of scientists, chemists and formulators.
- Lead the implementation of biosafety and containment programs for testing and handling of standard and higher risk BSL-2 microorganisms deemed important for public health such as multiple drug resistant bacteria –MRSA, CRE, VRE as well as spores of C. diff and BSL-2 human viruses.
- Evaluate new technologies and antimicrobial actives for potential products while following the EPA regulatory requirements for pesticides and microbiological efficacy standards.
- Design and execution of standard and customized microbiology tests internally and in external facilities.
- Stay current with industry trends and develop knowledge of the various health and regulatory structures as well as infection prevention organizations within the US and globally.
- Proactively research, summarize and disseminate relevant technical information and industry trends from a variety of sources including but not limited to government websites, regulations, patents, peer-reviewed literature, competitor websites while translating this information to research priorities and opportunities for business growth.
- Support field trials and publication of research data in technical, peer-reviewed journals with external collaborators from academia and industry.
- Presenting research findings at meetings and conferences. Collaborating with other Solvay teams to bring projects to fruition and contributing to IP.
- Actively contributing to Solvay’s safety culture.
Education and Experience
- Doctoral degree in biological, bioengineering, chemical or health sciences with 5+ years of relevant experience with development and launching of novel surface disinfection and sanitization technologies. Background in infection prevention and/or hospital disinfection is ideal.
- A proven record of accomplishment of academic and technical achievements such as publications, awards, grants and/or patents.
- Experience with standard and higher-risk BSL-2 microorganisms such as MRSA, VRE, CRE is an absolute must. Knowledge of BSL-2 viruses and or mammalian tissue culture technique is a strong plus.
- Experience with field trials while assessing the efficacy of a hospital disinfectant as it relates to infection prevention is highly desired.
- Working knowledge with EPA and FDA Good Laboratory Practice Regulations as well as the ability to bridge these guidelines to microbiological tests and analyses conducted in the R&D lab environment.
- Ability to condense and critically assess technology landscape, published patents and literature when approaching novel problems.
- Strong communication, presentation of project and lab results for internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience working in a research/laboratory environment with appreciation for safety while working with chemicals.
- Self-driven, creative mindset with good observation skills