At Highfive, our mission is to make every work conversation face-to-face, and we think the best way to do that is to make video conferencing something delightful that you look forward to using, instead of the combination of boring and terrifying that exists today. Our customers are businesses who depend on Highfive for their basic communication needs, so QA is a critical component in our success.
The QA team is a first-class component of our tightly-focused product engineering team, on which we share the ultimate responsibility for quality of our products as they are delivered to end customers. QA engineers at Highfive work shoulder-to-shoulder with software engineers, product managers, and software engineers in test (SDETs), marshalling the efforts of automation, internal “dogfood” testing, manual testing, customer feedback, developer testing, usage metrics, and graduated production rollouts to achieve this mission.
QA at Highfive is fundamentally an engineering discipline, and we have high expectations of our engineers. Our QA engineers are comfortable reading code, expected to consult on the functional user experience and technical design of new projects, and break the service down into components to test them independently.
What you’ll be doing
- Act as the ultimate advocate for quality in all aspects of the product engineering process.
- Act as the single most knowledgeable expert on the team on product functionality.
- Write and execute graybox test plans for all Highfive’s cloud service, numerous desktop and mobile software apps, and hardware products, with access to all levels of the software stack, to serve as one the ultimate stakeholders deciding whether a given bi-weekly release or feature is ready for customer rollout. Update and deprecate test cases and documentation as the product evolves.
- Coordinate and supervise the efforts of an offshore manual testing team, ensuring that they constantly have what they need to be successful.
- Represent the product engineering team to the rest of the company on any QA-related activities, such as internal product usage, organized testing, and usability feedback.
- Translate customer issues from the support team into well-formed bug reports for software engineers. See those bug reports through to completion and ensure customer satisfaction.
- Work with software engineers and SDETs to harmonize test automation with the broader QA plan.
- Triage of bug reports and feedback from all sources, crafting the narrowest, clearest to understand, and most succinct description of problems.
- At least 4 years in a leadership position within a graybox or whitebox QA organization for a B2B product, suing modern QA tools.
- Past or current experience as an individual QA engineer performing automation or manual testing, or as a technology engineer in a related discipline.
- In your current role, you exhibit passion and pride for shipping really good software to paying customers.
- You are able to explain the detailed functionality of your product better than anyone else who works on it.
- Demonstrable comfort working closely with or leading a remote offshore QA team.
- Proven ability to read code.
- Proven track record of working in a highly integrated environment with engineers.
- Degree in computer science or closely-related academic area, or equivalent on-the-job experience.
- Experience with QA engineering video conferencing or web conferencing products and services.
- Experience with software-as-a-service (SaaS) architecture.
- Technical expertise in real-time audio / video (WebRTC, SIP, H.264, Opus, RTP, etc) and/or computer networking.
- Familiarity with big data tools and technologies, especially both NoSQL and SQL databases. Ability to, for example, share a report built on a SQL query in Google BigQuery that finds a useful insight about user behavior from log data.
- Experience with enterprise data security in specific areas such as certification testing, data sovereignty, and penetration testing.