We have an immediate opportunity for a Substation Protection and Controls Engineer to perform work at our Rochester NY location.
The Substation Protection and Controls Engineer is required to work within a multi-discipline team to develop efficient and reliable Protection & Control systems. The incumbent will coordinate his/her design activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion. The incumbent will also assist the Estimating Team in preparation of estimates and project proposals.
This position is accountable to provide design activities in accordance with applicable codes and standards, including WSP's policies and procedures, such as Safety, Environmental, Quality Assurance and Quality Control. Specific duties include:
- Prepare conceptual design of the complex projects
- Carry out/review/analyze complex technical studies and project scopes.
- Develop and review technical specifications, drawings and standards of equipment/ projects.
- Review the design based memorandum, detailed engineering scope and guide the assigned discipline engineers to align the engineering deliverables per project requirements.
- Work closely with peers to ensure accurate delivery and thorough electrical design that will meet industry standards and specifications, and meet good engineering practices.
- Maintain complete project documentation with respect to engineering studies and calculations, all design packages, as-built requirements and return data information.
- Maintain good working relationship with internal groups that support project such as other Engineering disciplines, Drafting, Procurement, Construction and Project Management etc.
- Selection of equipment and material and preparation of specifications for material, equipment, construction and installation work.
- Develop relay setting calculations and coordination report.
- Review of internal and external designs for code compliance, good design practice and constructability.
- Coordinate design activities with other multi-discipline project team members.
- Construction support including resolving site queries, attending site meetings and performing site inspections during the construction phase of projects.
- Maintaining complete project documentation with respect to relay settings and calculations, all design packages, as-built requirements and return data information. Maintaining good working relationship with internal groups that support projects such as other engineering disciplines, Drafting, Project Management etc.
- Mentoring and providing guidance to developing engineers within the department.
- A degree Electrical Engineering from a recognized institution.
- A minimum of 10 years' experience in substation protection and control design.
- Experience on MathCAD, ASPEN or ETAP software is an asset.
- Experience on relay setting and coordination is a must.
- Experience in the design of wiring schematics is a must.
- Experience in SEL and GE relay programming is desirable.
- Experience on PSCAD or EMTP software is an asset.
- Knowledge of modern power system, power system protection and relay technologies.
- Strong client focus.
- Knowledge of codes and standards.
- Candidate must undergo pre-employment drug screening and a criminal background investigation.
- Position located at client offices with travel to the site on occasion.