Job DescriptionFUNCTION & SCOPE:This position leads a Research and Development group that services one or more business units by proactively conducting product and process development, margin/product improvement, andtechnology exploration work in one or more of the following categories: fruit, vegetable, tomato or broth.Responsibilities of this working manager includepartnership and proactive interaction with Marketing to identify, evaluate, and execute against product opportunities, and supervision of a food scientist(s) andtechnician(s). The Research and Development Sr. Manager also is charged with the identification, evaluation and implementation oftechnology to provide competitive advantage and enable business success (with new products or for major cost savings). PRIMARYRESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage/supervise a R&D team to execute a portfolio of product development projects (product innovation, line extensions, base business improvements (i.e. Superiority, Non-GMO) and cost/nutritional/process improvements) to ensure strong competitive stature and fulfillment of consumer needs while meeting quality, timeline, and cost hurdles.
- Provide technical and business leadership for one or more BUs by functioning as the prime point of R&D contact and partnering for the execution of a portfolio of projects on Fruit, Vegetables, Tomatoes, or Broth with cross functional Del Monte business partners (Marketing, Consumer Insights, Operations, Finance and Co-pack); and external resources (co-packers, consultants, contractors, universities, technical organizations).
- Collaborate with Marketing and Market Research to identify and refine viable product concepts that keep Del Monte's Foodservice and Import/Export product pipeline full.
- Work in conjunction with Manufacturing Operations and Quality Assurance to test and commission new products and product/process improvements into production.
- Ensure that all new products meet DMFI guidelines for Food Safety, Regulatory, and Quality criteria.
- Identify and drive major cost savings initiatives to completion on the Fruit, Vegetable, Tomato or Broth businesses.
- Provide R&D leadership for development and implementation of enabling technical systems (i.e. SAP, PDM).
- Actively participate in Open Innovation to develop enabling new food technology.
- Must be able to travel as required (to operating facilities, co-packers, and Foodservice customers) -- including on occasion internationally to the Philippines, China, Mexico, Thailand, Chile.
- Prepare reports and make presentations internally to all levels within the business; and externally to key Foodservice customers, and at trade shows.
- Train, supervise, and develop best in class product development staff member(s).
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum Bachelor's Degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Food Engineering, or similar technical degree. Masters or PhD. preferred.
- At least 12years of directly related product/process development experience.
- Well-developed technical and all around business skills.
- Strong project and supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize work; and to lead and manage technical resources.
- Wide ranging knowledge of food formulation techniques and processing equipment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills -- ability to partner, create cross functional influence and provide a strong voice for R&D.