The Senior Project Scientist carries out project duties as established by the Project Manager with the scientist's concurrence. The objective is to produce a result (monitoring, data, analysis and conclusions, final report, recommendations, etc.) which satisfies the client's needs.
- Prepares and recommends scientifically valid and appropriate field sampling work plans and quality assurance program for data collection/analysis activities.
- Collects samples, analyzes data and prepares reports in area of specialty on projects.
- Maintains up-to-datesampling, monitoring and testing techniques to ensure the credibility of data collected.
- Analyzes problems via literature search and information compilation. Understands and conducts scientific literature searches encompassing all disciplines required to meet project objectives. Assesses data as it relates to project information collected.
- Coordinates scientific findings with other scientific disciplines and organizations. Demonstrates inter-relationships of biological and chemical parameters measured.
- Acts independently as a field team leader, coordinating all sampling and analytical activities in an efficient manner to ensure that the project requirements, deadlines, and budgets are met.
- Is familiar with potential hazards (safety and health) associated with project activities and advises Project Manager of procedures to mitigate. Will readily and judiciously execute Stop Work authority when necessary.
- Coordinates the preparation of required interim and final reports for projects.
- Provides technical assistance to ensure that the environmental report is technically valid and results are coordinated for continuity and quality control of project reports.
- Acts as liaison with other scientific and engineering disciplines to compile data and text for reports, obtain the appropriate technical reviews of report content, ensure uniformly written and technically accurate reports, and submit quality documents to the client on time and within budget.
- Responsibilities range from being totally responsible for the execution of a job to directing the efforts of 5 to 10 people from his/her own and other departments. At times, may function as part of project managed by another department or division.
- Past and prospective clients may be contacted for information purposes, usually with the Project Manager's and/or Client Service Manager’s prior knowledge.
- Prepares sections of proposals relating to his or her area of specialty with regards to scope, manhours, and equipment needed.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- BS in environmental sciences, geosciences, or engineering plus 7 years experience
- Strong communication, verbal and written
- Field work capability
- Good organization ability
- Data analysis experience
- Compatibility with otherworkers
- Well-read in most sciences and environmental topics
- Demonstrated ability to carry out independent original scientific work