Leads, directs, and exercises functional authority over all aspects of constructions projects including planning, organizing, budgeting, and cost reporting. Ensures that the goals and objectives of each project are accomplished on schedule and within budget, and that quality and safety standards are met. ects department staff in successfully accomplishing goals and objectives.
Primary/Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
• Reviews Rail Construction Project proposals and plans to gain an understanding of the project requirements (time frame, budget, safety, quality, staffing, materials and equipment requirements) necessary to complete the project within the required time frame.
• Develops an execution plan that outlines staffing, materials, equipment, subcontracting, and other services that are necessary to deliver the project on time and within budget.
• Verifies estimates based on detailed review of proposal specifications.
• Coordinates with department managers to establish work plans and staffing for each phase of the project.
• Organizes and conducts meetings with project staff and management to communicate information related to each function’s needs concerning project requirements.
• Leads Railroad Construction Project activities to ensure that the project is executed in accordance with designs, budgets and schedules; takes appropriate action to minimize the impact of deviations.
• Monitors and oversees the efficient use of materials and equipment and the contractual performance of the project; confers with project staff to ensure that assigned duties and responsibility are performed per agreed upon expectations.
• Monitors and oversees onsite activities, quality, productivity, progress, and safety of employees and subcontractors.
• Oversees financial aspects of contracts.
• Provides technical assistance and recommends construction methods and equipment.
• Anticipates potential roadblocks and develops solutions to prevent issues from arising; resolves any problems that may arise during project execution.
• Implements and monitors safety programs.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties:
• Represents the company in project meetings.
• Prepares written reports and/or updates (internal and external) for management, client, and project team, to ensure a clear understanding of project status.
• Hires, trains, and manages performance of staff.
• Administers financial tracking systems to monitor project costs and estimates.
Position Located in Eastern Toronto Region*
• A minimum of 3-5 years of Railroad Construction Management experience is desired, including a thorough knowledge of railroad construction industry practices, methods, processes, and standards and their impact on project activities.
• Demonstrates a working knowledge of basic project accounting, project controls (cost, schedule, change management, etc.), material management, contract management, subcontract management, safety, and quality.
• Exhibits strong leadership qualities and abilities; applies innovative and effective management techniques to maximize employee performance.
• Track record of successfully planning and executing projects on schedule and within budget.
• Effective verbal and written communication skills and presentation skills.
• Strong client relations, influencing skills and organizational skills.
• Frequently works outdoors at construction sites and occasionally works indoors.
• Frequently stands, walks, climbs, balances, stoops, and crouches while negotiating work areas under construction.
• Sits, reads, writes and uses a keyboard.
• May be exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
• May be exposed to loud noise.
REQUISITION NUMBER: 20180109-71501-001