Primary leadership responsibility in planning projects and managing internal teams as well as external consultants and client relationship (in collaboration with Practice Leader, Managing Principal, Design Principal, and Director of Operations). The Sr. Project Manager will ensure project success, as measured in client satisfaction, work quality, profitability, and fostering team professionalism and collaboration. The Sr. Project Manager oversees all phases of the project through construction including budgeting, scheduling, planning, design, construction documents, with authority to direct and monitor all activities on complex projects of the largest magnitude; manages teams of designers, architects, project architects, senior designers, and other Perkins&Will professionals.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Defines, monitors, and maintains control of the scope of work and services for the project including project schedule and work plan.
- Prepares and negotiates client and consultant proposals, fees, schedules, and contracts.
- Primary coordinator of all communication between the client and Perkins&Will, ensuring timely resolution of client concerns and management of business issues including contracts and additional services.
- Monitors the performance of the project team and approach, to assure that the Firm’s quality standards and design goals are being met.
- Manages multiple project teams, keeping everyone on task and on time and ensuring proper communication between the project teams and the larger team.
- Initiates, documents, and maintains project set-up, including contract review, project process, and filing procedures, work authorizations, assisting accounting in timely distribution of invoices.
- Considers risk management by monitoring client issues and technical issues in a timely manner to minimize liability.
- Coordinates staffing resources with the Director of Operations.
- Assures a positive teamwork atmosphere and assists in supporting the development and retention of quality staff including training/development/mentoring.
- Understands design philosophies, overall building design concepts, design software technology, and delivery methods.
- Understands and responds to the technical implications of design decisions.
- Facilitates firm and project goals of excellence in design, execution, and sustainability.
- Understands all aspects and phases of the architectural, design, and production process.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- Professional degree in architecture
- 15+ years of experience
- LEED AP or within 6 months of hire
- Demonstrates collaborative and professional work ethic.
- Experience and/or strong interest in Science and Technology:
- Preference for background in planning and design of wet labs and life science.
- Professionals with experience in highly technical projects and a strong interest in Science and Technology are welcome to apply.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including client presentation skills.
- Experience in directing, mentoring, and coordinating project teams.
- Advanced knowledge of design process, construction documentation, construction administration, and materials.
- Strong project budgeting and contract negotiation skills.
- Strong passion for working relationships with clients and consultants, building relationships, and expanding the practice.
- Strong project management software skills.