Senior Project Managers are accountable for successful execution of one or more medium to large size high impact projects of moderate to high complexity. Individuals in this role must effectively partner with sponsors, stakeholders and senior management to ensure the strategic goals and objectives of the project/s are met and deliver the desired business value. Senior Project Managers direct the daily activities of team members on multiple projects to ensure they provide high quality and cost effective services; they may also provide oversight to one or more project managers, in addition to other project team members.
Project Management responsibilities:
- Direct medium to large-scale, complex projects that may involve multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Develop the project charter, integrated project plan, resource plan, contingency plan, and related project management artifacts
- Evaluate trade-offs between project size and complexity, cost, urgency, risk, and stakeholder value
- Validate financial forecasts and provide on-going reconciliation of resources and other related project expenditures
- Partner with business sponsors to define success metrics and criteria
- Build, lead, and coach multiple project teams throughout project lifecycles
- Facilitate all operational checkpoint activities throughout the lifecycle of projects
- Assess and resolve all high priority project risks as they are encountered
- Manage projects according to established methodology and standards
- Continually update relevant business stakeholders of project status and periodically publish project status reports
- Represent the project in various project governance and inter-department forums
- Define and track project milestones while developing, maintaining, and reporting on an overall and integrated delivery plan
- Ensure all projects meet success parameters and business objectives stated in the business case/ charter
- Involves the key players in identifying operating needs, issues and solutions. Proposes plans that are aligned with business objectives and requirements. Takes and leads actions to enhance business function standards and performance with the participation of business and technical partners.
- Establishes and maintains networks and alliances. Shares information and readily determines who to go to for relevant information. Seeks assistance and feedback in the problem solving process. Partners with others to achieve expectations.
- Participates in change programs by planning implementation activities with other change champions. Interprets the meaning of new strategic directions for the work group and sets objectives and standards. Implements monitoring and feedback systems. Evaluates progress and finds ways of making continuous improvements. Solicits and offers ideas for improving primary business processes. Improves effectiveness and efficiency through the involvement of peers and business partners by initiating new approaches.
- Utilizes a variety of information and data sources pertaining to organizational and professional trends. Checks the source for omission and accuracy. Identifies the sources that are appropriate for specific types of information. Checks for bias and omission. Seeks out the appropriate people to approach for guidance either formally or informally depending on the type of issue. Links information in a lateral as well as linear manner. Finds hidden data. Relates and manipulates data from various sources to create a fuller picture. Investigates and uncovers root causes of a problem or issue.
- Converses with, writes reports and creates/delivers presentations to all levels of colleagues and peer groups in ways that support problem solving and planning. Seeks a consensus with business partners. Debates opinions, tests understanding and clarifies judgments. Brings conflict into the open empathetically. Explains the context of multiple inter-related situations, asks searching, probing questions, and solicits expert advice prior to taking action and making recommendations.
- Understands and seeks ways to improve the quality and results of one’s work. Ensures that team roles and responsibilities are defined and clearly communicated, and that the quality of the work efforts is meeting expectations. Procures resources (people, funding, material, support) to ensure that the unit’s work is produced in a prompt, quality manner. Provides input for strategic planning meetings so that they produce expected outcomes. Plans for allocation of resources in line with unit goals. Creates and implements a strategy for supporting current and future business needs.
- Takes steps to identify and improve processes within own functional area. May escalate process improvement recommendations to appropriate management team for consideration. Participates on process improvement teams as subject mater expert for assigned areas of responsibilities
- Evaluates the effectiveness of current metrics in pursuit of improved performance indicators. Seeks opportunities and takes actions to enhance personal and functional performance and meet consistently more challenging expectations.
- Identifies potential areas of conflicting priorities and vulnerability in achieving standards. Reviews department's progress against established goals, objectives, service level targets and project milestones. Supports others in achieving deliverables by efficiently allocating resources and providing common organizing systems, techniques and disciplines. Maintains a proactive work review and approval process prior to assignment completion. Solicits internal and external customer evaluation of performance and devises measures for improvement.
Develop enterprise PM talent and capabilities:
- The Senior Project Manager will assist, share learning, and mentor others across the enterprise regarding standards, organizational understanding, and relationship building to promote the successful delivery of projects
- Minimum 4 years of related work experience
- Credible change manager
- Outstanding client relationship management skills
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to coach and supervise project managers
- Ability to translate and simplify complex business and technical concepts
- Ability to work well with people with varying technical, business, and cultural backgrounds
- Comfortable working with executive management
- Ability to manage multiple medium and large projects
- High level of analytical and problem solving skills
- Experience managing projects in a matrix environment
- 8+ years of Project Management experience
- Investment Management industry experience
- Experience of managing senior sponsors – 4 year minimum
- Experience with Microsoft Project, Excel PowerPoint, and Sharepoint