Will be responsible for conceptual development and execution of creative deliverables for HMC clients, using a wide breadth of skills within the Design and Art discipline. The role includes creating and communicating concepts, implementing and developing Design and Art solutions. Balancing creative thinking with interpersonal skills, the Senior Project Designer-Interiors will demonstrate an ability to justify concepts to the clients, consultants, and project team members. Ability to manage three to six employees.
Education: Architectural, Interior Design or Art degree from an accredited university or equivalent demonstrated proficiency.
Experience: Minimum ten (10) years professional art and design experience with professional direct client contact experience or equivalent experience.
Communication and Collaboration
• Listen and communicate effectively and professionally.
• Has working knowledge and understanding for use of HMC equipment and software.
• Coordinate with team members and consultants for conflicts and discrepancies.
• Ability to apprise design team and client for status of work.
• Establish productive working relationships, and deal effectively and cooperatively with clients, team members, and consultants.
• Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely decisions.
• Collaborate with appropriate staff to meet goals and objectives of project.
• Ensure that coaching, mentoring, and provide performance-enhancing feedback of assigned team members are provided.
• Direct overall verbal and graphic communication of complex project concepts to clients, public agencies and project teams, and be primary point of contact for all client issues.
Supervision and Delegation
• Ability to professionally communicate both verbally and in writing to give assignments to office support staff, consultants, and vendors.
• Ability to delegate assignments to support staff and always be respectful.
• Ability to supervise and give direction to consultants, art and design team members.
• Establish working relationships with artists and/or their representatives whose work strengthens/reflects HMC’s aesthetic values/design principles.
• Primary source for monitoring employee performance on a daily basis and taking the appropriate action to report both positive and negative performance.
• Assist and/or prepare evaluations and meet with their personnel to discuss the evaluation.
• Support senior project manager and/or PIC in supervision and delegation of work.
• Ability to supervise three to six employees.
• Ability to correspond effectively with agencies, consultants, and clients.
• Write meeting minutes, instruction bulletins, change orders, RFI responses, and professional correspondence.
• Write RFP’S and negotiate contracts and fees with clients and consultants.
• Prepare marketing proposals.
• Ability to write and edit specifications
• Write articles for professional publications of architecture and interior design industry.
• Always be professional and respectful in interactions with clients and consultants.
• Maintain primary contact with client and have excellent follow-through with client to help get repeat work.
• Write and develop project marketing interview materials. Participate in project marketing interview.
• Write and approve marketing proposals.
• Ability to market project capability through client interviews, public presentations and professional publications.
• Demonstrate motivation in seeking new responsibilities and challenges.
• Set goals, prioritize, and plan work activities for self-management and use time efficiently.
• Oversee client art programs and is responsible for the overall quality of work done by consultant and team members.
• Manages resources to meet deliverables, lead team, plan work and interact with architecture/Interior design team members.
• Prepare and manage work plans, schedules, budgets, staffing projections, and fees for large projects, and coordinate billing.
• Manage projects, budgets, staffing, and coordinate billing.
• Collaborate with Architectural design and production staff, construction administrator, and consultants.
• Work to keep projects within cost-saving measures; contribute to profits and revenues, and use resources effectively.
• Understand contractual liabilities as they relate to projects including fee calculations,
• Monitor and assist in the collection of aged accounts payable for the projects.
• Prepare plans of action for resolving project related problems.
• Ensure that project conforms to contractual agreement with client, meeting all set budgets, goals, and work assignments for their project team that clearly defines project expectations.
• Review and assist staff in meeting budgets, goals, and work plans that clearly define expectations, and take appropriate action when they are met and when they are not.
• Meet with their personnel to discuss the evaluations.
• Resolve collection of aged accounts and any financial issues with clients.
• Responsible for ensuring that all HMC procedures, standards, and protocols are followed.
• Integrate design principles with project design team and maintain design integrity through all phases.
• Promote design quality and design collaboration.
• Direct art development, ensuring quality of output is in support of project design intent, meeting client expectations.
• Manage creative projects from concept to completion and translates client’s objective into creative and responsive solutions.
• Guide design team and ensure that the design intent is followed through all phases.
• Lead office design charettes.
• Ensure that project managers support design and follow design intent on all projects.
• Review documents to ensure quality, coordination, and compliance with the requirements of deliverables.
• Ensure that HMC and client standards and protocol are followed.
• Guide and direct project team and consultants for appropriate materials and systems.
• Review documents for code compliance in all phases and issue code interpretations.
• Review cost estimates and conducts value analysis.
• Review and approve changes in collaboration with the project design team and client.
• Supervise and resolve issues in preparation of construction documents.
• Knowledge of dimensional/non-dimensional/kinetic art, framing/presentation, and their applications.
• Resolve design issues during construction of all work under their supervision.
• Provide training and mentoring of design in the studio.