As a Senior Project Engineer based on our $110m West Mission Bay Drive project you will play a key role in the project’s successful execution. Ideally you will have had experience working on similar capacity major civil infrastructure projects.
The successful candidate will perform, and lead peers in field engineering to perform, tasks related to safe, on-time, under-budgetconstruction of self-performed and subcontracted infrastructure work either in civil/earthworks or structures, or both. This position requires the selection and application of resource monitoring techniques, cost and schedule control principles, and technical knowledge of construction methods and management. In addition to the typical responsibilitiesassociated with a Field Engineering position, this role will provide peer leadership and development to the broader Field Engineering team on the project, and requires the ability to lead larger and longer-term project efforts.
- Reviews project plans and specifications for upcoming scheduled work activities. Helps lead small teams to develop successful planning and execution of activities to meet project objectives for schedule, cost, quality and safety.
- Develops/ assists with procurement packages for various elements of work, to obtain quotes and draft contracts to meet project requirements. Performs budget/quote comparatives for approval.
- Prepares construction work plan packages and coordinates pre-construction meetings while ensuring that all prerequisites to start of construction activities are identified and completed.
- Prepares, updates and distributes work activity schedules/updates, and communicates across work groups and agencies to ensure proper advance notifications and coordination of start times.
- Monitors and participates daily in field construction process. Ensures work is completed and accepted per contract requirements. Obtains confirmations from design engineer as needed.
- Reviews daily reports of labor, field deliveries, purchase orders, subcontractor invoices, costs, quantities, actual expenditures, etc. for correct coding tracking in cost system; Maintains cost control by reviewing job cost reports and adjusting as necessary. Uses electronic databases.
- Manages subcontract administration and permanent material suppliers through monitoring of correspondence, submittals, RFI’s, and performance records; Maintains accurate payment records.
- Tracks and reports deviations in material/work quantity requirements (takeoffs); adjust forecasts for quantities, costs and schedule to complete on a monthly and quarterly basis. Provides trend analysis
- Prepares monthly reporting for progress payments, schedule updates, and problem/issue tracking and resolution. Provides accurate and factual assessments of project performance.
- Tracks and understands project opportunities and risks, and implements both the realization opportunities and the mitigation of risks.
- Participates in extra work process, cost proposals, change orders and claims management
- Develops and manage relationships with owners, subcontractors, consultants and field personnel
- Supports project with all technical matters and determine outside assistance when needed
- Maintains a safe, clean and productive environment through enforcing procedures. Maintains project integrity and reputation through compliance with high standards of workplace safety and construction best practices
- Trains and leads other field engineers, and promotes and ensures consistency across engineers
- Bachelor's Degree in a related field from an accredited institution and 8+ years constructionexperience and/or training (or 10 years equivalent work experience)
- 5+ years of experience working for a heavy civil contractor is a requirement.
- Exposure to Caltrans projects will be highly regarded
- Project controls techniques (i.e. cost accounting, basic estimating, forecasting, contracts)
- Specific exposure to either earthworks and/or structural construction industry technologies, means and methods is required.
- A strong working knowledge of equipment selection and productivities is required.
- A strong working knowledge of critical path method, and resource scheduling is required.
- A strong working knowledge of construction layout using Trimble (or equal system) is preferred.