The Senior Project Engineer is primarily responsible for serving as one of the department’s technical subject matter experts. Provides overall technical expertise and leadership of designated projects. Instrumental in implementing and continually improving the technical strategy and execution of plans consistent with approved REG project goals. Develops materials, equipment and technology initiatives; insures quality and advances projects by conveying these standards to project teams while maintaining productive working relationships with staff, contractors, and vendors. Responsible for delivering assigned projects on time and on budget and meeting or exceeding performance requirements.
Engineering and Design
- Develop a thorough understanding of biodiesel technology, renewable diesel, and other chemical processing technology utilized by REG
- Develop initial project concepts and complete a business case analysis for those concepts
- Possess the ability to develop and complete Process and Instrumentation Diagrams (PID’s) and Process Flow Diagrams (PFD’s) for existing and new processes
- Analyze technology partner offerings for incorporation into REG facilities
- Provide input into development of “Scope of Work” matrix
- Develop job cost estimate and capture historical cost information. Assist in conceptual job cost estimates
- Identify and address long lead items as part of the preconstruction planning. Include such items in the schedule
- Participate-in and lead engineering and design review meetings and direct design partners and technology partners in REG facility requirements during the project planning phase
- Develop a thorough understanding of 3D modelling concepts and participate in 3D modelling design review meetings
- Become familiar with project specific controls and restrictions such as building codes, NFPA codes, life safety codes, NEC, and environmental
- Develop REG construction standards lists for projects
- Review RFI’s and determine and respond appropriately to ensure compliance with REG’s long term goals for the project. Log RFI’s that have a cost or schedule impact and report to the Project Manager and Director
- Lead team and project meetings as assigned by the Director; develop meeting minutes as appropriate
- Maintain a complete understanding of the budget and how it was developed to ensure REG goals for the project are obtained
- Assist with bid solicitation, reviewing bids and bid strategy
- Review submittals and shop drawings for correctness and accuracy. Carefully review submittals to ensure compliance with REG’s long term goals for the project. Coordinate submittals from separate vendors and contractors to ensure they are complementary. Review stamp and sign all submittals
- Ensure vendor and contractor orders are issued in a timely manner
- Review construction partner overall project schedules for accuracy. Monitor progress.
- Responsible for overall on time project completion
- Responsible for on-budget project costs. Approve process payments to vendors and contractors (1st signature). Prepare and ensure accuracy of monthly cost projections
- Review technical contract terms for purchase orders and contracts
- Develop overall construction quality goals for projects. Monitor construction progress for quality
- Negotiate vendor and contractor change orders up to authority limits
- Makes most decisions on project, consults with supervisor as needed or when impacting overall budget
- Establish and build long term relationships with vendors, contractors and REG personnel
- Insure projects meet internal customer requirements
- Comply with all project safety requirements. Work to correct unsafe conditions when observed or notified of them. Champion VisionZero on all assigned projects.
Education Required: A Bachelor’s Degree with preference for Mechanical Engineering or Chemical Engineering or a related field is required. Licensing as a Professional Engineer is preferred.
Experience Required: Seven or more years of mechanical/chemical engineering experience in the chemical or petrochemical processing field. Thorough understanding of mechanical, electrical and chemical processing engineering.
- Analytical skill to understand, analyze and interpret complex designs, instrumentation and control systems.
- Written and oral communication skills to provide complex communications to senior management, external licensees and vendors.