The Senior Project Designer will be a prominent creative leader for the office and company, and will plan, coordinate, and lead the design efforts for various sized projects. Coordinate and produce design presentation material, and coordinate the design intent with the production and documentation of construction documents. Coordinate with the construction administration of the project and maintain design intent during construction. Has primary responsibility for client contact. Strong ability to multi-task and prioritize. Ability to oversee two to three project designers and several junior design staff.
Education: Architectural degree from an accredited university.
Experience: Minimum of ten (10) years experience in architectural design, and in the production and coordination of significant design projects. Demonstrates leadership in design with the profession.
Communication and Collaboration
• Listen and communicate effectively and professionally.
• Ability to communicate complex design concepts both verbally and graphically to team members and clients.
• Coordinate project design with team members and consultants for conflicts and discrepancies.
• Establish productive working relationships, and deal effectively and cooperatively with team members, consultants, and government agencies.
• Display willingness to make decisions; exhibit sound and accurate judgment; support and explain reasoning for decisions; include appropriate people in decision-making process; make timely decisions.
• Ability to apprise supervisor and client for status of work.
• Collaborate with appropriate staff to meet goals and objectives of project.
• Asks questions about assignments when unclear.
• Resolve issues related to team members, staff, and clients.
• Ability to organize and deliver complete project design presentations to client user group or public forum.
• Ensure that coaching, mentoring, and performance-enhancing feedback of assigned team members are provided.
• Direct overall verbal and graphic communication of complex project concepts to clients, public agencies, and project team members, and be a primary point of contact for the client.
• Resolve "lost opportunity" issues, including staffing reduction, review of contractual obligations, and scope of service.
Supervision and Delegation
• Ability to professionally communicate both verbally and in writing to give assignments to office support staff, consultants, and vendors.
• Ability to delegate assignments to support staff and always be respectful.
• Assist and/or prepare evaluations and meet with their personnel to discuss the evaluations.
• Primary source for monitoring designers on a daily basis and taking the appropriate action to report both positive and negative performance.
• Supervise and manage the design of several projects and design teams. Ability to supervise and direct the design of projects within other offices or studios.
•Supervised 4 – 10 employees.
• Ability to correspond effectively with consultants and clients.
• Ability to write and edit design narratives.
• Prepare/edit marketing proposals and participate in interview.
• Write meeting minutes, professional correspondence, and lead or assist in the documentation of the design process.
• Write articles for professional publications of the architecture and construction industry.
• Understand and review agreements with clients and consultants, especially pertaining to fees and deliverables.
• Write training material for staff development.
• Attend professional activities outside of office.
• Always be professional and respectful in interactions with clients and consultants.
• Primary proponent for project pursuit.
• May maintain primary contact with client, have excellent follow-through with client and maintain excellent client relationships.
• Have primary role in marketing interviews and in the graphic preparation of marketing proposals. Write and approve marketing proposals.
• Ability to market project capability through client interviews, public presentations, and professional publications.
• Actively work to cultivate new clients.
• Demonstrate motivation in seeking new responsibilities and challenges.
• Set goals, prioritize, and plan work activities for self-management and use time efficiently.
• Estimate hours for assigned tasks and finish tasks within agreed-upon budget hours for the task.
• Prepare work plans and schedules for the design process, and coordinate schedule with project manager.
• Work collaboratively and effectively with PIC’s, project manager and project team.
• Lead the design efforts for all sized projects.
• Lead with the PIC and participate in design awards and publications efforts.
• Take leadership role in the promotion of design quality throughout the company.
• Initiate and lead efforts to promote the design reputation of the firm.
• Lead the Schematic and Design Development efforts of projects in collaboration with PM.
• Lead the design efforts on all sized projects, and coordinate the design efforts on several projects.
• Ensure the design integrity of all studio projects through the Design Development, Construction Document, and Construction Phases
• Demonstrate creativity in architectural design on projects.
• Demonstrate knowledge of the appropriate use of building systems, materials, and technologies. Show initiative in the research of alternative systems and materials.
• Lead the documentation of project design, such as three-dimensional CAD modeling, physical models, and product or material research in collaboration with PM.
• Coordinate the preparation of various Design Communication and Presentation materials including: sketches, rendered 2D & 3D drawings, rendered perspectives, slide shows and material selection boards in collaboration with PM.
• Lead office design charettes, team design critiques and pin-ups.
• Provide a positive design leadership example to project teams and to the studio.
• Demonstrate proficiency in applications and multimedia software.
• Understand technical terminology of the architectural and construction industry.
• Coordinate a project’s design intent through the construction document and construction phases.
• Understand requirements/deliverables of all phases.