TRC is currently seeking a Senior Project Controls Manager to join our growing Engineering, Construction and Remediation (ECR) Practice in our Madison, Wisconsin office. The ECR Practice is part of TRC's Environmental Sector, which represents approximately 40% of TRC's business. TRC's Madison office is a vibrant, dynamic, and fast-paced work environment that provides access to a broad spectrum of professional experiences in an office that thrives on teamwork.
The Senior Project Controls Manager will be responsible for the following:
- Overseeing and performing independent project control reviews of the largest, most complex projects for the Environmental Sector. These projects include complex civil, environmental, and demolition projects and involve initial review and monitoring of project costs, schedule, cost forecasting and reporting, change management, contract administration and documentation, earned value management and value engineering recommendations. The Senior Project Controls Manager will analyze these projects and provide recommendations to the Practice Leader and Project Managers how best to minimize project risks and maximize project profitability.
- Supervising and mentoring a dedicated team of project controls engineers that perform control functions and reporting at the project sites. Leading staff to ensure that quality management and technical services are provided and that operating performance targets are met
- Additionally, the selected candidate will develop ECR's project controls service offering to clients (program management, schedule and cost controls) by providing leadership, direction, marketing guidance, and leading business development with clients in order to successfully develop this service offering.
Leading our Project Controls Program includes the following skill sets and technical understanding:
- Leadership abilities and excellent communication skills are necessary to work effectively within TRC's organization and with other P&L practices and sectors, and corporate functions such as accounting.
- In depth understanding of the project controls function and the technical skills required to mentor and train staff that will report to you.
- Understanding of client's needs for project controls and willingness to lead and build TRC's project controls service offering. Past experience with business development and client service is a plus.
- Perform cost engineering, cost estimating, cost planning & forecasting.
- Develop and prepare monthly program and project progress summary reports.
- Past experience preparing weekly and monthly cost & schedule reporting including actual costs, planned costs, forecasts, earned value analyses, variance analysis, cash flow development, monitoring reporting for construction activities by area, contractor and work orders.
- Develop, maintain and interpret a cost and revenue fully loaded schedule in Microsoft Project or P6.
- Manage costs and schedules on multiple large projects concurrently and work independently to obtain status of project information.
- Work with each Project Manager to insure timely project reporting at month end.
- Understand basic revenue models, P&L, and cost-to-completion projections and make decisions accordingly.
- Understand the company's accounting, billing procedures, pricing models, estimate at complete and attestation process, and risk management procedures.
- Prepare project control plans and detailed internal manpower utilization plans for discipline or specialty activities.
- Assist in the development and preparation of specific budgets, plans, schedules, and forecasts in accordance with prescribed standards and procedures.
- Participate in developing Work Breakdown Structures and recommends appropriate modifications and revisions.
- Maintain continuous records of project cost or schedule status based upon input from the project team.
- Monitor and evaluate the effects of project changes including but not limited to trends, scope changes and delays.
- Alert the project team of cost or schedule impacts and work with project managers & team to identify remedial corrective actions to mitigate risks and maintain project baseline schedules.
- Participate in estimating, scheduling, planning or cost related activities as required to support the project team.
- Develop requirements and standards for cost recording, monitoring, reporting, and analyzing; cost/scheduling reporting performance measurement; productivity reporting; and variance reporting.
- Working knowledge of Earned Value Project Management as it relates to progress and cost control.
- Monitor performance and control functions.
- Prepare periodic cost (man-hours, dollars, and quantities), schedules, performance and productivity reports.
- Develop variance analysis as required to explain differences between budget, actual and forecasted expenditures and baseline schedule and current schedule.
- Coordinate and establish scoping requirements for budget preparation, and cost forecasts, schedule development by discipline or other specialty and coordinate the timely, systematic and complete acquisition of scope definition and related data.
- Provide supervision and direction to others who are involved in the project controls process.
- Have self-starting skills, excellent communication skills, and proven decision making skills.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or related field
- Ten (10) to fifteen (15) years of cost engineering experience including estimate development, cost reports, cash flow forecasting, variance analysis & risk management
- Experience with Project Controls concepts including project initiation, planning, execution, monitoring & controlling, earned value, and closeout
- Experience generating resource loaded schedules for accurate reporting throughout the life of the project.
- High proficiency in cost engineering, cost estimating, cost planning, cost control & forecasting.
- High Proficiency in developing project schedules in P6 Schedule development using Primavera P6; Critical path analysis and schedule risk analysis
- Proficiency with MS Excel, MS Project and P6.
- Excellent communication skills and previous experience working with and presenting to upper management.
- Experience with staff supervision, management, and mentoring.
- Experience with clients and business development regarding project controls as an external service.
- Ability to travel up to 10-15 % of time.
In addition to the basic qualifications the qualifications below are highly desired but not required:
- Advanced Degree (MS, MBA)
- Certification by the Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE) as a Certified Cost Technician (CCT) or Certified Cost Professional (CCP)
- Previous experience with environmental construction/remediation (but not required)
- Previous experience with building a program of project controls as a service offering to clients in a market sector