WSP is currently seeking a Senior Project Accountant to join our Finance Team, located at our Thornhill, ON office. The Senior Project Accountant provides support to Project Managers and is responsible for maintaining a portfolio of projects through the project life cycle. Reporting to the Infrastructure Business Unit Controller, the role of the Senior Project Accountant is to provide knowledge and understanding of contracts and agreements to ensure accurate, timely and complete information for all accounting activities from project set-up, cost recording, revenue recognition, project forecasting and project closure while leveraging the project management system to its fullest extent. Other requirements of the role include ensuring projects are properly setup to accurately reflect the contractual terms and as sold margins, participate in month end reviews, coordinate revenue adjustments as required and provide analysis on variances to Project Managers and the National Business Line Controllers.
- Provide support and oversight on a portfolio of projects with multiple PMs across business units;
- Attend regular meetings with Project Delivery Team on the financial status of projects;
- Lead the financial review for projects to ensure compliance with accounting standards and corporate policies;
- Assist PM’s through the financial lifecycle of a project (i.e. setup, monitoring, updating and closure);
- Accurately reflect a projects’ financial status by ensuring timely recording of all cost and revenue transactions;
- Ensure project is setup and updated accurately and mirrors the as-sold price, cost and margin of the contract, and that addendums/change orders and PO’s support the contract value loaded in the system;
- Work with the Project Delivery Team to ensure timely project reviews are performed, ETCs and EACs prepared and updated and any financial issues related to earnings, cash-flow, and reporting are addressed;
- Assess project financial risks and assist in updating the project risk register and revenue adjustment forms as needed;
- Train and educate project delivery team on the use of project analysis tools, dashboards, Vision, etc.;
- Possesses in-depth knowledge of the company’s revenue and costing methodologies and provides expertise to the Project Delivery Team;
- Assist with external and internal project audit requirements;
- Understand commercial, billing and payment terms on the project and act as a liaison with the Billing team to ensure invoices are prepared and sent to the client in a timely manner;
- Assist Controllers with project related reserves as required (i.e. Estimate at Completion adjustments, Accounts Receivable, Work in Progress, Legal claims) and proformas;
- Coordinate with Controllers in maintaining the Risk and Opportunities log;
- Support Controllers during month end close as required;
- Prepare and analyze variances pertaining to cost and revenue;
- Review backup documentation and track all monthly adjustments as required by BUCs;
- Provide financial assistance as required during the bid and pursuit phase as required;;
- Prepare ad hoc financial reports for Controllers and Management
- Other duties as assigned/required.
- Post-secondary education in Finance or related discipline;
- Accounting designation preferred;
- 8+ years’ work experience with relevance to project finance;
- Experience in all project accounting, billing, reporting, etc;
- Experience with working on ERP systems with specific project management modules;
- Good understanding of Microsoft Excel and other Microsoft Office products;
- Champions integrity and trust, coupled with strong work-ethics and is able to multi-tasks and juggle multiple priorities simultaneously;
- Displays self-awareness and ability to deal with ambiguity;
- Good communication, problem solving, critical thinking, and organization skills with ability to execute;
- Good understanding of accounting standards and policies.
Offers of employment for safety-sensitive positions involving fieldwork are contingent upon candidates being able to perform key physical tasks of the job as described in the job posting and interview. This may include the ability to work in a variety of environmental conditions, such as remote or isolated areas, working alone, and in inclement weather (within safe and reasonable limits).