We are currently recruiting a Senior Program Officer (SPO) to join the Therapeutics team. You will be responsible for a drug discovery program applying state-of-the-art and emerging technologies including artificial intelligence (AI) to generate a portfolio of innovative new non-hormonal contraceptive product candidates. You will have depth and breadth of experience and knowledge as well as a proven track record in innovation in drug candidate discovery. You will help to create a productive and collaborative culture of innovation in and translation of basic research into practical health solutions and be passionate about solving problems and addressing questions relevant to our mission.
Conceptualize, articulate and shape priorities in specific drug discovery areas:
- Monitor and track science and technology trends relevant to contraceptive drug discovery with a particular focus on non-hormonal approaches to alleviate side-effects.
- Provide analysis of opportunities based on the latest and most innovative thinking in drug discovery, integrating AI to the discovery process.
- Provide technical expertise for the drug discovery program area and have ability to represent the foundation both internally and externally.
Develop and manage grants and contracts portfolio to meet strategic objectives:
- Identify and select partner institutions and shape scope and strategy for selected grants and contracts to meet selected strategic objectives.
- Develop strategies and contribute to review of grant proposals and write proposal summaries.
- Apply and evaluate milestone-based performance objectives and help to make go/no-go decisions about specific projects and product candidates.
- Review interim and final reports; write final evaluation.
- Work with product development partnerships and other key external partners to enhance implementation of program strategy and tactics.
- Serve as a partner and resource to grantees to facilitate accomplishment of objectives.
Contribute to foundation knowledge capture, evaluation, learning, and dissemination:
- Keep manager and colleagues informed of progress of grant portfolio.
- Synthesize and document learnings across related grants and contracts.
- Develop reviews, summaries and informative reports for team, program and foundation leadership (e.g. Presidents, CEO, Co-Chairs and other foundation leadership) that summarize key activities, progress and issues, around grant portfolio.
- Partner with various programs to share learnings and expertise.
- Support monitoring and evaluation activities as defined within Therapeutics, the Global Health division and the Foundation.
Represent the foundation and program to the external world related to position responsibilities:
- Speak and participate in public events, forums and meetings.
- Serve on boards and working groups.
- Leverage opportunities to disseminate the knowledge and products developed by grantees in order to extend their impact.
- Represent foundation interests in building networks for the program.
The role will report to the Deputy Director, Discovery Therapeutics and requires primary residency out of Seattle, Washington
Leadership and Culture
We believe that energized people, working well together, fueled by great leadership in an inclusive environment in which they thrive, will do phenomenal things.
Core Knowledge & Skills
We are looking for people who enjoy the challenge of working on complex projects and collaboratively creating solutions that have the potential for transformational change. We seek an experienced professional with a deep understanding of the principles of drug discovery.
Education and Experience
The ideal candidate will have a PhD or other relevant terminal degree with deep knowledge, expertise and experience in:
- Pre-clinical drug discovery including the principles of target identification, assay design, medicinal chemistry, pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, toxicology, etc.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience gained in the Pharma or Biotech sector.
- Understanding of the drug industry and regulatory process for drugs.
- Strong record of scientific achievement as evidenced by publications in peer-reviewed journals.
Coupled with experience in one or more of the following areas preferred:
- Strong research, analytical, critical thinking skills as well as the ability to organize and synthesize information are required. Proactive and flexible nature with reliable follow-through and great attention to detail.
- Demonstrated outstanding written and oral communication skills in positions requiring communications to a broad and diverse audience on a range of complex technical issues.
- Experience in establishing and leading collaborative programs integrating fundamental scientific research and lead generation in the academic, Pharma or Biotech sector.
- Knowledge of AI-based drug discovery technologies and approaches.