The Senior Program Manager leads, directs, and exercises functional authority for designing, planning, organizing, controlling, integrating, and completing engineering solutions and projects in manufacturing facilities. Program managers are accountable for the cost, schedule and ultimate technical success of programs. The role is technical and involves the interaction of multiple engineering disciplines; it is critical for the program manager to apply his/her accumulated technical experiences to achieve success time after time.
The primary duties of a Senior Program Manager include:
- Accountable for the delivery of a portfolio of programs and strategic initiatives, each ranging in cost of $250k to >$20M from business award through completion
- Accountable for cost, timing, and performance success for simple to highly complex projects
- Lead program team utilizing the following behaviors:
- APQP principles and execution
- Defining and detailing technical and commercial success
- Building consensus and stakeholder alignment to budget, timing, and performance objectives
- Applying a systems approach to business and program challenges
- Proactively mitigates project risks
- Driving accountability in team members
- Clearly communicating data and knowledge that supports timely decision-making
- Evaluating issues and immediately responding to them
- Executing disciplined project management processes that ensure project success
- Continuously improve program management standard work including project checklists, templates and work processes.
- Provide executive level reporting as required
- Travel average 25 – 35%
- Mentors Program Managers and others within Graham Packaging on recognized best practices in Project Management, as well as the product launch process
The following skills and proficiencies are essential requirements of the position:
- Must be currently using an APQP process to drive project success
- Technical acumen – demonstrated ability to understand technical details and contribute in technical discussions
- Inquisitive problem solver
- Applied project management principles
- Demonstrated experience managing tradeoffs that optimize budget and schedule while ensuring performance targets are understood and met
- Experience with Capital equipment projects, including specification development, installation, start-up, and ramp-up.
- Sets clear ambitious performance goals for projects and leads the team in achieving them.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to present technical information and communicate effectively to a wide audience.
- Must have a track record of achieving business results in the face of institutional, commercial, or circumstantial headwinds.
- Experience in managing projects in a geographically dispersed matrix organization
Education and/or Work Experience Requirements
- BS degree in Engineering (Industrial, Manufacturing, Mechanical, Systems, Electrical).
- 10+ years of Project Management experience.