HAVI is a privately held global company that innovates, optimizes and drives the supply chains and marketing promotions of many of the best known brands in the world. When you work at HAVI, you have a chance to make your mark – to be a part of work that drives value, brings a smile and keeps everyday life moving forward. Which means it’s not the size of our global footprint, but rather your personal fingerprint, that has the power to make a real difference for our customers… and to touch the lives of people both at home and around the world.
The Compliance and Packaging Safety Team, located in our Downers Grove, IL office, is responsible for ensuring that food packaging is safe and meets all market specific regulatory requirements.
The Senior Product Stewardship Manager reports to the Director, Compliance and Packaging Safety.
This position will support HAVI’s and clients’ safety & compliance strategies by maintaining and executing the material health program that enables transparency, assessment, risk management and continuous improvement for substances used in food packaging, that aims to drive positive change, while simultaneously balancing the needs for packaging to support consumers, operations and cost goals. The Sr. Product Stewardship Manager will provide thought leadership at HAVI with regard to materials transparency and health; be an advocate and protagonist for positive change; be a resource to HAVI Packaging and clients, to provide guidance on environmental and health impacts of substances used in packaging and recommend creative solutions with an appropriate balance of innovation, risk management, package performance and cost.
- Lead HAVI’s material transparency program, assessment and continuous improvement within client’s consumer packaging portfolio.
- Interface directly with suppliers and material vendors to promote the vision of transparency and safety and drive selection and/ or development of materials to enable improved material health profiles for consumer packaging.
- Assist internal customers, suppliers and clients regarding the requirements of the Product Stewardship Compliance process.
- Apply food safety and regulatory compliance policies in the design and roll out of new products
- Collaborate with external testing labs to determine and execute food packaging testing
- Support the North America Packaging Supplier Anticipatory Issues Management sub-team, completion of deliverables, and communication of outcomes.
- Manage relationships with consultants to develop tools to manage packaging material health assessment and qualification, and understand toxicological profile of substances, including testing protocol reviews and approvals.
- Collaborate with suppliers, material vendors and external organizations to monitor packaging substance legislation (on US federal, state and local levels, on European level and APMEA level) that might impact clients.
- Recommend creative solutions with an appropriate balance of innovation, risk management, package performance and cost.
- Identify, assess, and report on materials, technologies and industry trends that HAVI should be tracking or supporting in order to assure material health and innovative leadership positions.
- Give excellent customer service and provide continuous communication to internal customers and team members.
Desired Skills & Experience
- BS in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Toxicology, Environmental Science, MSpreferred
- 10-15years regulatory experience, including Product Stewardship
- Working knowledge of 21CFR, German BfR, EU REACH, MERCUSOR, FSANZ, CHINA GB Standards, and/or Canadian F&D Act
- Good understanding of regulatory testing methods and requirements
- Understands packaging “green chemistry” regulations, general stakeholder concerns
- Analytical approach to problem solving and decision making
- Strong communication skills; focus on customer interface and relationships
- Knowledge and experience with technical analysis tools and processes
- Proficient with Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Driven to contribute positively to safety & compliance and business