The senior software engineer will be responsible for supporting our core UpToDate search application following the full development lifecycle to meet our customer needs on multiple platforms including web and mobile.
This includes maintaining the existing application; analyzing, researching, prototyping and developing enhancements and new features to advance search; and collaborating with other teams to incorporate new features into the core product.
As part of the Information Retrieval and Analytics/Product Research team he/she will also participate in research projects that not only incorporate search but also machine learning, data mining and natural language processing.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
- Maintain, enhance, and extend the search application
- Work closely with other team members, clinicians and pharmacists to come up with solutions that advance search functionality
- Prototype enhancements and new features and incorporate feedback
- Develop and deploy enhancements and new features following best practices
- Identify ways to measure quality and performance indicators before integrating into the production application
- Collaborate with other teams including product owners, developers and testers to fully understand and meet their requirements related to search application features
- Participate in research initiatives that cross search and analytics
- 5+ years of experience in application development
- Demonstrate object-oriented development skills to design and develop software using core Java including knowledge of common design patterns, design principles and best practices
- Working knowledge of SQL and database (Oracle, MySql or SQLite)
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and adaptable
Experience in any of the following is highly desirable but not a must:
- Search Engine (Apache Lucene or other)
- Machine Learning and NLP
- Eclipse/IntelliJ, Maven, Git, BitBucket
- Front-end/UI, NoSQL
Education: Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science or equivalent field
Travel requirements: <5% Travel