Bosch eBike Systems, the current market leader for pedal-assist electric bike (eBike) drive-train components in Europe, is growing quickly in North America as more and more bicycle manufacturers sell eBikes equipped with the Bosch system.
At Bosch eBike Systems your experience has a future. Whether in the field of the Internet of Things, or e-mobility – at Bosch, you are part of innovative solutions that promote the quality of human life. Our mission is to ensure that Bosch eBike Systems are safe for our customers to use throughout the world and also comply with worldwide safety requirements. Bosch eBike Systems is seeking an experienced, hands-on Sr. Product Safety Engineer to play a critical role in building the next-generation of eBike System Components for use with eBikes. This will require a candidate with the ability to work across multiple disciplines both internally and externally. Experience, communication and broad execution abilities are required. Join a team of forward thinkers where you can create something remarkable, something Invented for life.
The Senior Product Safety Engineer will be responsible for development of hazard management methodologies to minimize corporate exposure to product liability. Contribute to project teams designing eBike Systems (Engineering, Marketing, Purchasing, Quality, and Manufacturing) in development & manufacturing of Bosch eBike System components by providing technical expertise in area of product safety and liability analysis. Support development of defense strategies for litigation. Continually ensure adherence to risk reduction principles and corporate standards.
******THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN FOOTHILL RANCH, CA*****
YOUR RESPONSIBILITIES WILL INCLUDE:
- Product Analysis – Lead product liability investigations and initiatives.
- Conduct Product Safety Review Activities – Work collaboratively with product development teams (Engineering, Marketing, Purchasing, Project Management, Quality, and Manufacturing) to assess product designs and provide guidance and recommendations toward meeting risk reduction requirements. Continually provide instructions regarding hazard assessment and management techniques.
- Documentation Review – Review test reports, planned product changes and engineering change requests (CR), participate in change control board meetings and ensure compliance with established documentation and product safety standards. Actively contribute to development of and review product collateral materials to ensure their compliance with corporate and product safety standards.
- Product safety test procedures and OE Support – Lead development and maintenance of requirements (Safety Books), and processes (Hazard Assessment) to maintain state of art approach to hazard management. Effectively communicate relevant information to affected product teams. Provide support to OE's regarding Norms & Regulations (answer questions from OE's).
- Product Safety Research - Provide recommendations for product design and process improvements based on research of industrial, legal, and liability trends. Ensure that product safety best practices used during daily operation are consistent with corporate risk management policies.
- EMC, FCC & SharePoint Site – Research applicable requirements for EMC & FCC for the eBike System & its components and communicate to product development teams. Obtain FCC and IC Certification. Continuously monitor the requirements and keep product teams updated with the latest requirements. Create & maintain SharePoint site for internal database of all relevant safety & regulatory documents.
- Market entry into New Countries - Research requirements for market entry into different countries and work with 3rd party agencies such as UL, ETL, TUV, CSA, and other state, national and international entities/agencies to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Travel to testing laboratories as necessary, about 10%.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- 8 or more years of experience in product safety
- 3 or more years of experience in obtaining FCC & IC Certifications.
- 5 years of experience Interfacing with third party agencies and testing laboratories.
- 5 years of experience participating in DFMEA
- 3 years Experience with standard Microsoft Office tools
- Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field.
- Professional Engineer's License.
- Demonstrated product safety experience in identifying areas of risk with product design/testing and provide recommendations for risk mitigation. Able to analyze failures, determine cause, and recommend solutions.
- Experience in EMC design and compliance problem solving capabilities.
- Experience working with following standards: UL 991, UL 1998, CSA C22.2 No. 0.8, ISO 13849-1, ISO 13849-2 or other functional safety standards.
- Knowledge of UL 62133 and UL 2271 Safety Standard.
- Excellent communication skills - both verbal and written.
- Accuracy, attention to detail and responsiveness to customers.
- Demonstrated ability to interface effectively with cross functional groups to define and execute overall requirements.
- Ability to manage time and effort to meet project milestones.