To give technical expertise to Spectrum Brands Pet, Home & Garden (PHG) marketing and sales teams during the definition and design phases of the new product development (NPD) process. Work primarily on complexity levels 2-4 within the scope of NPD, working directly with suppliers to develop solutions based on the project definition. Evaluate the product and package concepts/solutions based on engineering, component production, and finished goods manufacturing limitations. Oversee the finalized component specifications in the company data base.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage all elements of product and packaging design per the project definition in Spectrum Brands’ NPD Stage Gate process up to and including complexity level 4. This includes initiation of design, approval and final pack out specifications. Initiate and drive all collaboration within Spectrum Brands as well as outside vendors ensuring final design is feasible, cost effective and meets the project’s deliverables.
- Write new packaging and material specifications for the primary and secondary product/package components as well as revising existing specifications to ensure data integrity. Develop product Bills-of-Material, S.O.Ps and efficient pallet patterns for manufacturing.
- Plan and direct activities around the design and development of structural packaging containers (retail and transportation) as well as product merchandising displays. Displays must function in retail environments like: mass merchants, home centers and grocery.
- Develop package or product structure concepts, draw/create 2-D (concept sketches), draw/create product layout drawings electronically, work concept modeling stage, work directly with suppliers, tool makers, marketing, production planners, manufacturing and purchasing to finalize concept through production.
- Work directly with both domestic and international vendors to improve material performance, reduce material cost and to achieve higher sustainability results.
- Work with purchasing and marketing to establish costs and feasibility of producing the primary container package, secondary packaging as well as the product merchandising displays.
- Direct and oversee ISTA series packaging testing of product and retail displays to ensure product quality in transit and at retail.
- Train and lead Engineers I and II where needed.
- Initiate and or monitor all stability studies as related to packaging and exposure.
- Initiate and manage packaging design briefs as needed to aid in sourcing new packaging
- Drive continuous improvement throughout the department under the scope of Spectrum Brands Lean Sigma.
- Other duties as assigned by manager
Education and Experience Profile
- Bachelor's in Engineering, preferably packaging
- 7+ years related work experience, preferably in consumer packaged goods industry