The Broad Institute provides a vibrant engineering environment with close links to top academic and industry institutions across the Boston area and the world. Together, these activities make us a leading organization at the intersection of the life sciences and data sciences.
Terra is the flagship product of a collaboration between the Broad Institute and Verily Life Sciences: a scalable, secure, and open-source platform for biomedical research. Terra provides access to biomedical datasets, includes a well-stocked repository of best-practice workflows and open-source tools, and makes it easy for researchers to collaborate on projects.
We are looking for a talented and motivated product manager to join our team, working on the interactive analysis applications for analyzing genomics data within Terra. The ideal candidate will have a passion for data and be experienced with computational biology, jupyter notebooks, R studio, and genomics analysis.
They will enjoy working in a collaborative, team-based setting and interacting with people at other institutions around the world. They will have good attention to detail and take pride in the software produced. They will be interested in learning about sequencing, genomics, and the scientific work of the Broad Institute.
What you will do:
- Collaborate effectively with engineering teams to formulate a roadmap for new and ongoing product development related to genomics interactive analysis. Build and maintain the product backlog with the technical team. Continuously prioritize the work in the backlog to deliver the most significant value to our current and future users.
- Engage with and survey scientists and clinicians, lab personnel, and other stakeholders to understand their needs.
- Develop a basic understanding of the complex regulatory environment surrounding health information in both research and clinical settings; translate this understanding into product definition and scope.
- Identify metrics for software products and work with development and operations teams to ensure that mechanisms are in place to collect them; iteratively refine software products according to these metrics.
- Champion software products to the Broad community. Inspire development teams, collaborators, and stakeholders with concise, valuable, relevant product vision statements that target the most important user scenarios for Broad.
Who you are:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree ideally in a scientific or quantitative field, preference for those with a Master’s or Ph.D. in computational biology or related field.
- An ideal candidate would have experience in product management; however, we are open to candidates who have a strong background in genomics and are excited about the prospect of becoming part of our product team.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Any of the following is a plus: Familiarity with cloud environments (eg GCP, AWS, etc). Experience with a formal programming language (eg. Java or C++) and a scripting language (preferred Python).
- Experience with user experience and web design principles is a plus
- Experience in an academic, laboratory, and/or research environment strongly preferred.