As a Senior Product Manager, Early Learning, you will be an individual contributor within NWEA's Product Management team and report to a Sr. Director of Product Management. With your domain knowledge of the Early Learning Education market, you will work across the organization to collaboratively develop and manage product/service strategy, planning and execution throughout the product lifecycle, including the definition of market and product opportunities, business cases and pricing models, market requirements, product roadmap and release plans, market and competitive positioning, product feature design, product development priorities, release readiness and product maintenance. In addition, you will work with colleagues in their product/service line to provide a cohesive product/service line offering that contributes to the comprehensive portfolio solution. You will work closely with Product Marketing and Partner Accounts on go-to-market strategy and execution for your product. For this role, you will be responsible for ensuring that your product/service supports the organization's overall strategy and mission and ensure profitability and partner satisfaction goals are met.
NWEA® is a research-based, not-for-profit organization that supports students and educators worldwide by creating assessment solutions that precisely measure growth and proficiency—and provide insights to help tailor instruction. For 40 years, NWEA has developed innovative pre-K–12 assessments, including our flagship interim assessment, MAP® Growth™; our progress monitoring and skills mastery tool, MAP® Skills™; and our reading fluency and comprehension assessment, MAP® Reading Fluency™. Educators trust our professional learning offerings to accelerate student learning and our research to support assessment validity and data interpretation. Our tools are trusted by educators in more than 9,500 schools, districts, and education agencies in 145 countries.
Your next challenge…
- Responsible for all aspects of product management for assigned product(s) and service(s), including vision, strategy, positioning, planning, and execution including but not limited to market and product/service opportunities, business and financial analysis, roadmap and release, market requirements, functional requirements validation, go-to-market information and artifacts, and sales support
- Proactively meet with Partners and Prospects to assess needs, identify opportunities and build relationships that provide relevant market data and inform product choices.
- Coordinates planning with other product managers and stakeholders to ensure comprehensive market readiness from a segment perspective given market trending, compliance concerns and political drivers
- Evangelize and socialize product or service strategy, vision and value proposition with internal and external stakeholders
- Manage products and services throughout the product life-cycle from solution innovation, definition, release and end-of-life planning
- Assess technology trends, and current and emerging competitors in order to inform product direction; utilize and gather market and industry research and analysis to inform a long-range product roadmap
- Perform market needs analysis specific to target market segments to better understand the problems and needs of potential and existing customers
- Identify opportunities to optimize product/service profitability through value-based pricing, production efficiency recommendations, and competitive and market intelligence to improve partner retention rates and partner satisfaction
- Attend key industry conferences, capture key takeaways and socialize with the product management team and the organization
- Regularly interact with product user groups, industry leaders and the learning community in order to stay abreast of industry changes and to influence policy at the state level
- Travel as required, up to 25%
Traits for success…
- Ability to embed the organizational mission as the core driver in product strategy and planning, balancing business and market demands in the context of the organizational mission
- Provide product leadership and demonstrates a sustained ability to manage products in a dynamic, fast changing environment is essential
- Ability to establish priorities and results within the cross-functional teams at NWEA while concurrently managing unrelated, multiple and complex requirements on a timely basis.
- Ability to make timely decisions and produce results
- Capable of establishing a business case to support product strategy and direction.
- Consistent, proactive and healthy cross-functional communication skills that motivates cross-functional teams and all business relationships
- Ability to quickly identify trends, threats and opportunities
- Demonstrated ability to drive results and to work effectively across multiple groups
- Sound business judgment and acumen and solid understanding of financial issues impacting product profitability including the ability to read a financial statement, manage the P&L of the product, and deliver projected margins and market performance
- Exceptional skills in partnering with clients and staff and in developing and maintaining long term supportive relationships
- Demonstrated ability to operate and contribute at both a tactical and strategic level
Education and experience…
- Extensive domain knowledge and demonstrated understanding of the early learning educational market
- Bachelor's degree in education, technical or business discipline or equivalent experience required; advanced degree or equivalent experience preferred
- Minimum five years' experience in product management, product development, product marketing, business analysis or related discipline, with at least one year in product management related to the area of emphasis
- Experience with all aspects of go-to-market planning and launch
- Demonstrated success in developing and launching complex technology products
- Solid knowledge of/experience with the Product Lifecycle Management processes such as product requirements definition, product business plan development, and new product introduction
- Knowledge of and experience with educational assessment
- Proficient with Pragmatic Product Management frameworks a plus