$100K — $150K *
This position reports to Academia's Chief Operating Officer, who leads the PM, Design, and Marketing teams.
We are profitable and growing, despite the challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic. Our Mission is to accelerate the world's research, and it has never been more relevant.
Academia hosts a repository of 20+ million free academic papers, allowing anyone in the world to read scientific and scholarly research papers. The platform enables faculty, students, and private sector researchers to discover the latest research and leading academics in their fields of interest. We are proud of our 145+ million registered users, growing by 3-4 million every month.
We have a "Freemium" business model, providing free access to research for everyone and paid premium capabilities to subscribers. Subscribing to Academia Premium gives researchers access to advanced research discovery tools like Summaries, Bulk Download, and Advanced Search. Subscribing academics also receive enhanced analytics like Mentions and Readers, and career building tools like Grants and Websites. Our 250,000+ premium subscribers cover the cost of hosting free research and pursuing our Mission.
We are a small team of ~60 employees with ~30 engineers. We are hiring across multiple roles, with multiple new products in development, and are growing our platform profitably.
We are looking for a product manager who:
* has 5+ years of product management experience in a B2C consumer software business;
* has extensive experience working in highly quantitative or technically complex problem areas;
* seeks to deeply understand user needs to develop new product experiences to solve their problems;
* has a track record of identifying, developing, and launching products that achieve meaningful business results;
* can demonstrate creativity in product problem solving and MVP design;
* has experience with A/B testing, product metrics, and quantitative analysis;
* possesses the ability to quickly assess new ideas unemotionally, and build a business case to evaluate them.
Skills that are nice to have:
* Experience building consumer-facing analytics products
* Experience understanding or serving the needs of academics, researchers, or undergraduate students;
* Experience with the Growth thinking (many of our PMs have taken the Reforge Growth Series);
* Experience with developing products within a freemium subscription business.
You'll be improving and expanding Academia's Impact Tracking products
You would be responsible for Academia's impact-tracking product suite, include product improvements, new product development, and optimization of the marketing experience for the products.
Academia's leading impact-tracking product is Mentions, which discovers citations and acknowledgements of a researcher's work, within the text of other research papers. Researchers upgrade to see where their work is being discussed, to claim citations, and to tailor ongoing notifications about future Mentions.
Tools we use:
Sisense (Periscope) for SQL analysis, Invision and WebFlow for prototyping, Asana and Jira for ticket management, Github for bug tracking and code management.
Benefits & perks:
* Compensation & Benefits: Competitive salary, stock options, Competitive salary, stock options, Flexible Spending Account (FSA) & Dependent Care Account (DCA), and a 401k.
* Health & Self-Care: Paid medical, dental, & vision insurance for employees & their dependents. Flexible sick days, flexible hours, four weeks + 1 day (21 days) paid vacation, 11 holiday days, and paid parental leave. Standing desks.
* Convenience & Location: All Academia employees may work remotely through at least January 2021. As soon as San Francisco rules permit and we can safely re-open the office, employees may optionally work there. We cater lunch in the office every day, with a huge selection of free snacks & drinks. On-site showers & bike storage, and located a short walk to Montgomery Station public transport.
* Learning & Development: Budget for professional development, team building, and events. Free books.
* Fun & Activities: Before Covid-19 shelter-in-place, we had an active work “life” at Academia. But now, we're all sheltering in place. Many of these activities are remote now. We have regular “lunch and learn” Zoom classes, an active “movie night”, chess, weekly piano recitals, and interactive video games.
* Paid Sabbatical: Six weeks of fully-paid sabbatical leave for every four years you work here.
Valid through: 3/4/2021