This position is responsible for taking new, improved and optimized products from concept through successful commercialization by utilizing skills in formulation, company quality systems and procedures, product and consumer testing and translation from bench to large scale production. Conduct product validation and specification development for new and existing products.
Serving as the pivot point and cross functional leader, the Senior Product Development Manager is expected to manage and drive their team’s work across the functional matrix both within the product development & marketing team and across sales, supply chain and other departments to achieve objectives and business improvement.
- Leads technical components of a project by coordinating activities of a cross functional team.
- Works with purchasing and external ingredient vendors to select raw materials for a given product.
- Presents iterative prototypes/concepts to business team members, makes technical recommendations to meet project objectives.
- Develops specifications and testing protocol for new products based on critical consumer and customer attributes.
- Identifies and presents new and innovative technical solutions and product ideas to broader organization.
- Supports cost savings initiatives through ingredient, product and process optimization.
- Provides technical support to Marketing and Sales as required.
- Provides troubleshootingsupport at the plant level as need arises.
- Manage up to 2 direct reports, typically product development coordinators or product development managers
Essential Functions, Skills and Attributes:
- Willingness to challenge the status quo and ignite change by actively sharing ideas and technologies.
- Thorough understanding of pasteurization and aseptic processing
Qualifications and Experience:
- B.S. Food Science or related field required. M.S. in Food Science or related field preferred.
- 5 - 10 year’s progressive product development experience.
- 3+ year’s work in Consumer Products environment required – Food & Beverage preferred, Stage Gate Process, Development experience in multiple product categories.
- Demonstrated success in competitive and high criteria professional and/or academic environments.
- Conveys technical information in understandable terms to all levels of the organization. Strong written, oral and facilitation skills. Must be able to create and deliver presentations.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, MS Project and other computer applications to access information, analyze data and solve problems.
- Physical – standing, bending and lifting of product (up to 50 lbs).
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 25% of time.