Albertsons Companies is one of the largest food and drug retailers with 2,300+ stores. The Albertsons Companies family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S.
The Research & Development Department has an opening for a Senior Product Development Manager. This position is located in Dublin, CA.Position Purpose
This position collaborates with cross-functional team as the Product Development resource to develop new and reformulated products from concept through retail execution, including key sensory attributes, shelf life, nutrition facts, processing, packaging, safety, coding, and regulatory compliance. Represent Product Development at key meetings to provide technical guidance and strategic direction. Analyze data and translate into actionable insights. Stay current with industry trends.Key Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and approve new and reformulated food products based upon product quality & performance, cost, and project timelines. Includes reviewing product performance, conducting product sensory evaluations, researching product standards and attributes, product safety, and product shelf life.
- Develop, review, and/or approve packaging labels for new and reformulated products, assuring technical accuracy and internal requirements.
- This role is expected to work autonomously with cross-functional team members to ensure on-time delivery of strategic business and departmental initiatives.
- Provide leadership to guide and/or assist technical and non-technical peers and direct reports to mitigate technical and project hurdles.
- Provide direction and assessment of technical feasibility for new product concepts, manufacturing capability options, and ingredient functionality and selection.
- Create & manage product specifications. Includes requesting product specifications and other technical documentation from suppliers, creating internal specifications, and reviewing and approving any updates to current product specifications.
- Manage internal & external suppliers, contractors & other outside resources. Includes directing requested product changes, evaluations, consumer testing, and analysis.
- Provide technical direction to external supplier activities, including sample and product information requests, specifications development, and communication of product changes to address safety, product performance, and/or regulatory issues.
- Bachelor's Degree, Food Science, Chemical Engineering, or equivalent applied science with experience in food manufacturing.
- Minimum 10 years of experience in Product Development, R&D, manufacturing (QA or Operations), across a broad range of categories.
- Minimum 2 years supervisory experience.
- Knowledge and understanding of the principles of Food Science and their application.
- Knowledge and understanding of ingredient functionality, product formulations, and food preparation.
- Experience with manufacturing equipment and systems, scale-up, and commercialization of new products.
- Understanding of food safety principles.
- Understanding of the impact of Federal Regulations upon different product categories (FDA, USDA, kosher, organic, various industry standards).
- Extensive experience managing multiple projects and rapidly shifting priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with, lead, and motivate direct reports and cross-functional teams.
- Proficiency with MS Office and various nutrition databases (ESHA Genesis)
- Working knowledge of Sensory Analysis principles and application.
- Working knowledge of Culinary techniques and terminology.
- Working knowledge of packaging technology.