A dynamic and hands-on role, leading the electro-mechanical product development efforts from concept to commercial release of new UV curing products for use in the electronics, industrial, aerospace and medical-device end markets. With a strong focus on mechanical product design, a Senior Product Development Engineer will balance expertise in analytical engineering fundamentals with creativity, innovation and proof-of-concept prototyping. The role requires strong organizational and project management skills, self-motivation, thirst for knowledge, and the ability to thrive in a high paced environment.
- Under the direction of the Engineering Manager, independently lead and manage small projects from start to finish.
- Under the direction of the Project manager serve as a technical leader on formal Stage Gate development projects.
- Research and investigate appropriate technologies in optical, thermal, and electro-mechanical design of UV curing equipment; conducting critical design analysis of complex systems and sub-systems of equipment.
- Produce innovative working proofs of concept to demonstrate new technology or derivate products.
- Create and maintain engineering data, documentation and collateral that achieves project deliverables and supports a product Design History File (DHF).
- 3D models & 2D manufacturing/engineering drawings
- bills of material
- detailed technical specifications
- component and material datasheets
- project schedules & tasks lists
- engineering analysis reports
- design verification test plans and reports
- Perform engineering analysis on designs and materials
- Simulation and Calculation
- Geometric Dimensional & Tolerance (GD&T) analysis
- Analysis for selection of parts and mateirals.
- Thermal/mass transfer analysis
- Critical Design Review of mechanical or optoelectronic performance
- Failure mode and effects analysis (FMEA)
- Using scientific methods, initiate and perform hands-on laboratory testing during product development, competitive benchmarking, analysis of field failures, and solving technical issues.
- Utilize design of experiments (DOE) that can be executed by internal or external test labs.
- Serve as team collaborator in all phases of product life cycle for new and derivative products.
- Serve as an internal customer advocate, coordinating team activities and schedules to drive design and project deliverables by fostering an environment that openly shares work/ideas and routinely seek reviews/feedback from peers and internal customers.
- Function as a quality champion to ensure rigor in the process of product development and adherence in engineering standards is upheld. Set an example with own work.
- Drive results for the organization through the self-motived ability to collect and analyze data, then draw meaningful conclusions that can presented to management.
- Bachelors of Science degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME) from an accredited university required. Masters of Science in Engineering or higher preferred.
- Minimum seven to ten years of experience, preferably in an industry dealing with the manufacturing, assembly and development of electro-mechanical products.
- Prior knowledge of UV curing systems or experience with photonics or optoelectronic products is a plus. Working knowledge of thermal management required.
- Proven ability to work throughout the entire new product development life cycle.
- Experience with a stage-gate or formal new product introduction process a plus.
- Must be able to effectively manage and split time between design engineering (~40%), analytical engineering (~40%), and project engineering (~20%) activities and responsibilities.
- Advanced user of 3D CAD software, preferably SolidWorks, and experience with working with proper Product Data Management (PDM) protocols and environments.
- Past achievements of growth of new skills and technology, using strong analytical background and demonstrated use of solid engineering fundamentals as tools to generate new concepts and ideas.
- Intimate knowledge of manufacturing processes such as sheet-metal fabrication, stampings, machined components, plastic injection molding, electronic assembly, cabling and wire harness construction.
- Understand and can implement proper techniques for design for manufacturability (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA).
- High comfort level to work independently, cope with ambiguity and lead teams. Must be able to effectively communicate own ideas, gathering ideas of others, and demonstrate strong interpersonal skills.
- Communicate orally or by publishing written findings in a professional and expert manner.