Who we are
M1 Finance has created a personal wealth-building platform made for the modern era, uniting personal perspective and automated ease. We seamlessly combine free investing, low cost borrowing and digital checking all in one intuitive, automated Finance Super App, and we’re driven by a mission to empower personal financial well-being. We believe that financial well-being is fundamental to overall well-being, and we strive to deliver products that are simpler, smarter, and stronger than those created by our boring, entrenched, and slow-moving competitors in the personal finance industry.
Our clients have already trusted us with over $5 billion of assets, we’re currently helping hundreds of thousands of people grow and manage their wealth with our industry-leading automation and tools, and we’re adding thousands of new clients every day.
We’re looking for passionate people who want to improve and build on what we’ve created and take responsibility to help others build something meaningful and sustainable for their futures.
We mean it when we say, “M1 is yours to build.”
If this sounds interesting to you, read on!
What we’re looking for
You’re a versatile designer with experience in product, interaction and visual design, and your ultimate superpower and passion is UI design and design systems. You’ll thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment where you can have ownership over our design system, and you’re excited to join a rapidly growing design team and have serious impact.
What you’ll do
- Work across a variety of product pods to help ideate on solutions, and turn detailed workflows and interactions into beautiful interfaces that our clients will love.
- Create, maintain and evolve an accessible design system of UI elements, components and patterns as well as their supporting specs and usage documentation.
- Collaborate with your product design peers to apply the design system to the M1 platform and ensure a consistent and holistic end-to-end experience.
- Partner with your product engineering peers to implement new elements, components and patterns and ensure they’re scalable and usable.
- Evangelize the design system across the company, and confidently speak to your work, articulating a clear rationale for decisions that led to your solutions.
- 7+ years designing exceptional digital products with a portfolio that showcases your ability to move between user research, UX, UI and visual design.
- You’re a systems thinker who consistently delivers beautifully crafted UI experiences, and has a solid understanding of UI engineering and the product development process.
- Mastery of typography, color, layout, iconography and illustration. Motion design experience a plus.
- Proven track record of designing, building and maintaining an active design system.
- An obsession for deeply understanding user needs, and the ability to translate those needs into intuitive solutions.
- A track record of collaborating with Product Management and Engineering to ship multiple products that have made a measurable impact.
- An expert-level understanding of responsive web design, iOS and Android platforms, UI component libraries, living design systems and modern browser technologies.
- You’re known for taking bold, calculated risks, and learning from your mistakes.
- Basic knowledge of and interest in investing and personal finance.
- Applications without a portfolio will not be considered.
Our team embodies our eight core principles and if these principles speak to you – we’d love to talk with you.
- Mission Driven: We will passionately apply ourselves to deliver immense value to our customers, knowing if they succeed, so too will the company.
- Extreme Ownership: We think and act like owners. Our focus is on building long-term value, not scoring short-term marks. We own everything in our domain, including the outcome and everything that affects it.
- Boldness: We want to do things of consequence. Make a difference. We would rather fail at something meaningful than succeed at something trivial.
- Bias for action: The best way to make progress is to act.
- Economical: Efficiency is important, and we consider both the costs and benefits of our actions.
- Team-oriented: In working together, we maintain a low ego, make everyone feel welcome, assume good intent, trust one another, and seek out different perspectives. We empower our teammates to be at their best.
- Challenged, but not overwhelmed: We are curious people who always want to grow. Growth happens outside our comfort zone. We achieve our potential through consistent, manageable growth.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. When we make mistakes, we own and correct them. We would be proud of our actions are shared with our family, friends, and strangers. Everyone can count on us to act according to our values, beliefs, and principles we state we hold. This trust must never be broken.
- Unlimited PTO
- Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- Stock options for all employees
- Retirement benefit with employer match
- $500 to spend on home office equipment while working from home
- Stylish M1 swag
- Socially distant team outings, celebrations, and events
- Transparent and open communication
- Office in the Loop with a Game Room and Gym