DISCO is a legal tech software company focused on improving the practice of law by automating parts of the practice so that great lawyers can focus on tasks that truly require human legal judgment. To date, we have substantially disrupted the legal tech market with a lawyer inspired consumer-grade interface and a cloud-enabled technology platform that offers unprecedented performance and cost savings. Our objective is to own the legal tech market and become the leader in legal as Salesforce has done in the sales technology space. We are building a unified technology platform for the practice of law, composed of 7+ products to be released over the next 10 years.
Thoughtful product planning and product design are core tenets in our “product first” business strategy and culture.
As a Senior Product Designer for DISCO, you’ll design magical and intuitive digital tools that improve the practice of law. You will discover and synthesize insights from legal professionals and other user audiences about key outcomes and workflows in partnership with other designers, product managers, and engineers. You also will iteratively refine your designs on the basis of usability testing, and partner with engineering to ensure that the right product, with all the fine details, is built to specifications.
Designing a great user experience requires someone that is a strong communicator and facilitator to extract the best ideas. At DISCO we expect a humble yet confident approach to design.
What You’ll Do
- Work effectively within a cross-functional team (product management, domain, design, and engineering) to successfully deliver product features that satisfy user needs.
- Conduct research to understand user needs and use environments.
- Lead workshops and design sprints.
- Rapidly prototype ideas at various levels of fidelity and iteratively test them with representative users.
- Communicate your designs and their underlying rationale clearly to clients and other team members through artifacts including site maps, journey maps, storyboards, and usability test reports.
- Collaborate with other designers and engineers to implement and maintain DISCO’s design system.
- Work with engineers throughout the development process to ensure that the correct product, with all of the fine details, gets built to design specifications.
Things You Might Work On
- Synthesizing and simplifying complex workflows, often involving hundreds of lawyers collaborating on millions of documents.
- A visualized human communication network computed by AI.
- Defining enterprise-wide analytics and dashboards that inform legal strategies and ongoing data management policies.
Who You Are
- 7+ years of experience as a product designer for software with a demonstrated record of successfully generating a balanced mix of end to end design artifacts such as task analyses and user archetypes, site maps and workflow diagrams, low- through high-fidelity mockups and design specifications, interactive prototypes, and usability test reports.
- 5+ years of experience designing the software UI of enterprise-level B2B or B2C applications that support users who are performing complex, technical tasks.
- 5+ years experience as an embedded designer in cross-functional teams successfully taking your early concepts through to released products.
- 2+ years experience in planning, conducting, or participating in UX generative and evaluative methods to discover user needs, structure content, define workflows and use cases, and iteratively refine prototypes. Representative activities include contextual inquiry, design sprints, semi-structured interviews, and scenario-based usability testing.
- Holder of a degree or certification in design, human-computer interaction, human factors/ergonomics, software engineering, or experimental or cognitive psychology; or have equivalent training in product design and user experience principles and methods.
- Owner of an online portfolio that represents your (non-confidential) latest and greatest work including an example of a product design flow with a high level of craftsmanship.
Even Better If You…
- Have experience using Figma.
- Have experience in designing user interfaces for search.
- Work independently yet collaboratively, are a self-starter, and take proactive ownership of projects and tasks.
- Leverage established best practices where relevant, but can customize or invent new approaches when needed.
- Apply a structured, pragmatic, and holistic approach to problem solving.
- Have a design superpower - illustration, animation, typography, statistical analysis, etc.
- Enjoy meeting users of your products to discover insights and refine your designs.
- Demonstrate exceptional craftsmanship in your design deliverables
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal, visual, and written communication skills.
Why Join DISCO’s Product Delivery Team
We intend to build a multi-billion dollar business and think you should come along for the ride because:
- We were the first movers to a cloud-based platform that has caused mass disruption within our market.
- Our CEO is a true market visionary. He graduated with a computer science degree at the age of 15 and followed with a JD from Harvard Law School at the age of 19. His unparalleled insights into the fundamental issues in legal and the potential of technology and artificial intelligence to change our market at its core provide the guiding light for DISCO’s long-term strategy.
- We believe that product delivery professionals including product managers, product designers, and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. We believe that product delivery professionals including product managers, product designers and engineers differ from one another by at least a factor of 10. At DISCO, we only hire the top 1%. We pay them well and also include equity, which means , pay them well, and with equity, everyone has effectively been getting a raise each and every day. Given our product-focused mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Given our product first mindset, product professionals are very much stars of the show. Our logo, the circle and square, represents the best lawyers and the best product professionals in the world.
- We measure product delivery velocity by dollars of revenue per line of code, vs simply lines of code. We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to drive a very thoughtful and deliberate product design and development process that ensures we are going to make money when we ship products. We hire many more product managers and designers per engineer than most companies to ensure that our engineers have a disambiguated product intent when they are building.
- As a rule, we don’t commit to external product delivery dates as we believe that unnecessarily constrains our creativity from both a product and technology point of view.
- At DISCO respect isn’t earned; it is assumed. Good humans inherently treat everyone respectfully. This is a very important concept at DISCO.
- Given the high caliber of talent, the cutting-edge cloud-based technology stack, and thoughtful and novel product and design approach, you’ll find yourself learning and growing at a rate you’ve not likely experienced in your career. Given that we only hire professionals that are passionate about their craft, you’ll truly enjoy building a great software product and get in the best “career shape” of your life.
- We use the “2 Pizza Team” organization design where small autonomous teams own a piece of a product or platform and ship software at rates comparable to a very lean and scrappy startup. We achieve consistency across these teams in the areas of design, product-wide use cases and technical concerns through a strategically focused set of overlay functions.
- Finally, while we’re an incredibly fast-growing organization, as a rule, we do not work crazy long hours. We believe in continuous product delivery, continuous product planning and design, continuous regular sleep schedules, continuous regular vacation, and continuous fun if you’re passionate about your craft.