As a Senior Product Designer for DISCO, you’ll design compelling digital tools that are intuitive, thoughtful, delightful - and at times magical - to improve the practice of law. You will synthesize insights from users about key outcomes and workflows in partnership with other designers, product managers, and engineers. You also will iteratively refine your designs on the basis of usability testing with internal and external subject matter experts.
Designing a great user experience requires someone that is a strong communicator and facilitator to extract the best ideas. At DISCO we expect a humble yet confident approach to design.
What You’ll Do
- Work within an agile two-pizza team - a product manager, a designer, and engineers - executing on the delivery of crucial features.
- Prototype ideas at various levels of fidelity and test them with representative users so you can iterate towards excellence.
- Collaborate with other designers and developers to implement, and maintain DISCO’s design system.
- Communicate your designs and their underlying rationale clearly to clients and other team members through artifacts including site maps, journey maps, storyboards, and usability test reports.
- Lead workshops and design sprints.
- Work with engineers throughout the development process to ensure that the correct product, with all of the fine details, gets built to design specifications.
Things You Might Work On
- Synthesizing and simplifying complex workflows, often involving hundreds of lawyers collaborating on millions of documents.
- A visualized human communication network computed by AI.
- Defining enterprise-wide analytics and dashboards that inform legal strategies and ongoing data management policies.
Who You Are
- 7+ years of experience in software UI design creating artifacts including low- through high-fidelity mockups, interactive prototypes, and journey maps.
- 5+ years of experience designing the software UI of enterprise-level B2B or B2C applications that support users who are performing complex, technical tasks.
- 5+ years experience as an embedded designer within cross-functional teams.
- Prior experience translating your early design concepts through to released product in partnership with functions including engineering, domain/subject matter experts, and product management.
- 2+ years experience in planning, conducting, or participating in UX generative and evaluative research to discover user needs, define workflows and use cases, and iteratively refine prototypes. Representative research activities include contextual inquiry, semi-structured interviews, and scenario-based usability testing.
- Have experience working on an Agile team consisting of product managers and engineers.
- Holder of a degree or certification in design, human-computer interaction, human factors/ergonomics, software engineering, or experimental or cognitive psychology; or have equivalent experience in product design and user experience principles and methods.
- Owner of an online portfolio that represents your (non-confidential) latest and greatest work including an example of a product design flow with a high level of craftsmanship.
Even Better If You…
- Have a balanced mix of interaction design, information architecture, visual design, usability testing, and prototyping skills.
- Work independently, are a self-starter, and take proactive ownership of projects and tasks while effectively collaborating in a team environment.
- Have experience using Figma.
- Have experience in designing user interfaces for search.
- Leverage tried and true practices, but when necessary customize or invent a new standard.
- Bring a holistic end-to-end and user-centered view to problem solving, yet know how to isolate specific design issues and opportunities.
- Have led or have been part of a design sprint and understand how to go wide before honing in on a solution.
- Have a design super-power, we can always leverage illustration, animation, typography, hand-lettering, event speaking, etc.
- Understand how to apply scientific thinking to your work, transforming business problems and user insights into designs that people find delightful and even magical.
- Enjoy meeting users of your products to discover insights and refine your designs.
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written communication skills.