The successful candidate will be a member of Americas Engineering Process Safety team but will have direct responsibilities for Global Process Safety Policies, Work Instructions and Job Aids. The Process Safety team's mission is to "Maintain and improve our World Class process safety standards, tools, programs, training and work processes and help in implementing them on a global basis to comply with corporate process safety risk criteria and policies."
The Senior Process Safety Engineer will use Air Products, regional and local regulatory process safety, fire protection, and security related standards/policies and will implement them working closely with the engineering, operations, and commercial teams.
The job activities will focus on air separation units, and large hydrogen units, but may span a wide range of business areas including gasification, rare gas separation, and liquefied natural gas units.
The Senior Process Safety Engineer will be a direct line of support to our four regional engineering offices (Allentown, London, Shanghai and Pune India) and will also have a dotted line of responsibility to the Corporate Process Safety Director.
The Process Safety Engineer will possess the skills to lead Hazard Reviews, Qualitative risk analysis, Quantitative risk analysis, Mechanical integrity consultation, Safety instrumented system analysis, Management of change, Process safety management, Operation readiness inspection, Security vulnerability assessment, Compliance Audit, and Process Safety training.
- Technical expert / complex problem solver
- Promotes creative solutions to achieve engineering safety and business goals
- Effective verbal and written communicator
- Preferably has expertise / experience in AP engineering businesses and technologies
- Preferably has Operations experience
- Serves as Peer Reviewer for Quantitative Risk Analysis (QRA) – LOPA, fault tree, SIL Assessment, consequence modeling, building siting, in-plant risk, public risk, etc.
- Can conduct training on Process Safety skills
- Serves as Peer Reviewer on new and non-core technologies
- Serves Process Safety Global Functional Owner role:
- Leads changes in organizational and global standards, tools, and work processes
- Enhances, innovates, and extends the corporation's state-of-the-art in Process Safety
- Serves as functional mentor & coach for AP engineering Process Safety, Process Systems and Process team
- Single point of contact for other AP engineering functions to maintain AP's safety performance leadership
- Single point of contact for non-engineering organizations (Corporate EH&S, Operations, Customer Engineering, Acquisitions, Retrofit, etc.) to promote company-wide Process Safety consistency
- Representative on Air Products internal Process Safety committees
- Represents Air Products Process Safety on external industry agencies and standards committees
- Preferably has external Safety certification (CSP, CCPSC, CFSP, or similar)
- Contributes to the monitoring of AP key safety metrics (DNMs, KPIs, and near misses) to develop and implement improvement programs
- Familiar with significant industry Safety standards applicable to Air Products. (CGA, EIGA, etc)
Required Skills and Experience:
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering
- Minor in Process Safety a plus.
- Advanced degree will be considered a plus
- Current or former Industrial Gas experience in Process Engineering or Plant Engineering with 10+ (Air Separation and/or Steam methane reforming) experience is preferred
- Minimum of 10+ years' work experience in Gas, Petrochemicals, Chemical or related industries in process engineering or plant engineering.
- Minimum of 10+ years' experience in process safety as a primary role.