Ineos Nitriles is a global Chemicals business with sites in the U.S. and Europe and sales and licensing revenue of over $500m. The Nitriles business includes sales of all Nitriles products as well as the catalysts for those processes worldwide. The Lima manufacturing site is the only site that produces the patented Ineos catalyst for the acrylonitrile industry, and ships to customer facilities worldwide. In addition to the catalyst manufacturing business the Lima site has units that are part of INEOS Nitriles group whose products include acrylonitrile, HCN, and acetonitrile. The Lima site is also closely integrated and shares services, utilities, products, and feedstocks with several adjacent refining and chemical manufacturing facilities.
The engineering position at the Lima Catalyst plant uses their technical expertise to improve the catalyst manufacturing process and is a great developmental position for commercial and R&D positions. Through projects and process support the incumbent works to improve SHE performance, reliability, product yields, product quality, production rates, and production costs. This position works from broad objectives to formulate, develop, and execute a wide variety of complex process engineering assignments. The incumbent investigates new problems and opportunities and recommends course of action or solution and is the primary person responsible for the execution of any process related projects. The incumbent interacts daily with Operations, Maintenance and QC on issues of importance to the unit. The incumbent will be asked to periodically work with R&D during new product developments and process changes and may get involved in assignments in the Nitriles Manufacturing areas at Lima and/or R&D in Naperville.
The engineer maintains knowledge of the day-to-day operations of the unit and may act as an alternate for the process assistants or Catalyst Manufacturing manager in their absence. The position assumes a leadership role in many aspects of Process Safety Management. Success in this position enables the incumbent to be considered for positions of higher responsibility in Operations, Engineering, R&D, or commercial assignments in the Technologies group in Naperville.
The Total Quality Management System shall be incorporated into all job activities. All job activities should be executed in a safe and efficient manner consistent with the INEOS 20 Principles.
• Ensure high safety standards are maintained on all projects, and promote a positive proactive "Culture of Prevention."
• Follow all safety rules, assure that all personnel are made aware of safe working practices, and promote safety programs in the office and in the field.
• Evaluates process equipment and performance and makes recommendations to improve safety, reliability, product quality or efficiency.
• Proposes and executes capital projects for the catalyst plant including development of the individual funding requests and the annual capex budget for submittal to the Manufacturing Manager.
• Serves as the asset engineer per the Ineos 20 Principles for the catalyst plant and as such is directly responsible for the development and review of safe operating limits for process equipment; ensures process safety related information is accurate and up-to-date; leads Process Hazard Analysis review sessions and Management of Change program requirements, including training.
• Assists in Pre-Startup Safety Reviews; participates in Incident Investigations; and understands and supports Process Safety Management site objectives.
• Provides process engineering support to Operations and optimizes process conditions with the operations assistant. Daily knowledge of the unit operations and any upsets is required.
• Provides technical assistance to the operations team and maintenance function evaluating equipment failures
• BS Engineering (CHE preferred)
• 5-10 years experience in chemical plant or refinery
• State Professional Engineer License preferred but not required
• Experience with mechanical and control system design, project management, and instrumentation
• This position requires an understanding of the plant processes and operations along with utilization of engineering knowledge
• Strong problem solving and organizational skills
• Good communication skills to be able to communicate with all levels of people inside and outside the organization
• Must relate well to others and be capable of effectively leading and influencing multi-disciplinary teams
• Ability to learn and stay abreast of industry changes
• Ability to effectively prioritize and manage multiple tasks in parallel
• Although this role is not a formal team leader, the incumbent will be required to periodically lead teams or oversee INEOS or contract staff in support of project and process work